Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Dau
United States
Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the current Star Trek "ship" games, which is the best? I'm aware of Attack Wing, Fleet Captains and Heroclix. Not sure if there are others. They all look nice, but which is the best to get into if you could only get into one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like starship battles then the choice is attack wing hands down. It is a great system that provides multiple layers of decision making tension wrapped in an incredibly accessible rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two best starship games I know of are Star Trek: Attack Wing and Full Thrust.

There was also a game on The Game Crafter called DogFight: Starship Edition but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Star Trek Attack Wing is an excellent game. It's not even close to my ideal starship game, but I think its the best thing on the market right now. (I'm finding Star Trek Attack Wing too light and abstract in some areas, whereas Federation Commander is too heavy and detailed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Dau
United States
Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played or heard of all of these games. Full Thrust is a great game, especially since you can get the rules for free now. I just like that all of these games have pretty well-done ships for a reasonably affordable price. I just don't want to get into all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Dau
United States
Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Attack Wing compare to Xwing? I know it uses the same system and all. I just like Star Trek better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're really into minis, I think Federation Commander is the best out there right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack Wing will likely be the easiest to find other players and current tournaments for. The difference between it and the X-wing system is that the point values are balanced differently, and SW universe doesn't have shields.

Fleet Captains is a great game for getting the Star Trek feel of being a fleet admiral, but it is not a skirmish game, it is pretty much a euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to recommend Attack Wing as well. As a big Trekkie, it's very difficult to find a good Star Trek board game. Attack Wing is the closest one for me, as Fleet Captains and a couple others fell really flat.

One of the things that I noticed about Attack Wing though that bothered me was that it can sometimes be difficult to maneuver ships around. I'm a total noob to miniature games, but I had a hard time getting around with the Warbird and the Galaxy Class ship. A lot of times I would hit the edge of the playing area and be forced to back up so that I could swing around and attack.

The only Star Trek game I still own is Star Trek: Catan, and even then I like the resource and aesthetic choices of regular Catan better. I haven't played Star Trek: Expeditions, but only because I've heard replay value is very low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welbus wrote:
How does Attack Wing compare to Xwing? I know it uses the same system and all. I just like Star Trek better.

Most of the difference is that Star Trek Attack Wing has a greater emphasis on upgrades and customizing your ship/fleet prior to battle. Some would argue this is great because it allows for ship customization and variety, while others would say it detracts from the importance of maneuvering and combat by emphasising pre-game ship design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
and SW universe doesn't have shields.

WHA?

Star Wars has shields all over the place. In X-Wing All of the rebel ships so far, and a few of the imperial ships have shields.

Cloaks are a different matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.