Subject: Opinions/Suggestions Please: Wars TCG Shared Deck Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Abraham
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As starter boxes (each containing twelve starter decks) are selling for $8-10, I thought it would be interesting to see if there was a way to make a "board-game-like" shared deck variant of WARS Trading Card Game. Players and gaming groups wouldn't have to invest time/money in building their own decks nor would they have to be familiar with all the cards in the series. I love the game design shared by this game and Star Wars Customizable Card Game, and would be happy to see it introduced to and enjoyed by the more casual/semi-casual player.

Easiest way to start is to combine two identical starter decks. I thought of combining two different decks, but this "diluted" the needed faction support locations (frustratingly so in play testing). Suggestion would be to use the Suppression starter deck (Shi/Maverick combo) because it has the most secondary-faction cards, though Solidarity could be a nice choice as well. Of course one could build custom decks of 120 cards, but I'll keep it simple for now.

I have uploaded images of both regulation deck movement and my proposed shared deck movement. The shared Reserve Deck is at the middle-side of the play area; each player has their own Active, Used, and Lost Pile. Any reference to "your" or "opponent's" Reserve Deck both now refer to the Shared Reserve Deck. If both players need to search or draw from Reserve, the player with initiative draws first. Example: I initiate a battle; I draw a battle destiny and put in my Used; opponent draws battle destiny and puts in their Used.

End game trigger is when the shared Reserve Deck is depleted *and* at least one player has no cards left in Active, Used, and Hand. Play stops when end game triggers and any excess losses that could not be lost from deck/pile/hand are noted.

Victory condition is "owning" the fewest number of cards. Players count up all cards that they have in play, in hand, and in Active, Used, and Lost Piles. If any player still needs to lose energy, that number is added to their card count. Example: Player A triggers end game still needing to lose 5 energy; Player A owns 51 cards; Player B owns 69 cards; Player A wins 56-69 (which can be noted [51+5]-69. The player who triggers end game can still win, and ties are possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Some ideas I had that I ended up scrapping:
[] 3+ players: Definitely desirable to develop, but I wanted to get the shared deck details down first. There are multi-player variants already suggested for Wars TCG and Star Wars CCG that may be applicable once the shared deck mechanic is worked out.
[] End game trigger penalty: The player who triggers end game receives a penalty of 6 cards added to their card count.
[] Faction support icons doubled (allows for easier combining of different starter decks)
[] Victory condition is whomever triggers end game; no card counting (though I feel this is not within the spirit of the mechanic -- may encourage massive consumption/zerg)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinjin Smith
msg tools
My only thought is that it seems odd to be penalized for cards you have in play at the end of the game. The deck movement seems like it would work to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Abraham
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SinjinSmith wrote:
My only thought is that it seems odd to be penalized for cards you have in play at the end of the game.

IMHO one appeal of Wars TCG and Star Wars CCG is the cards collectively representing your assets, currency, and energy. Sure you could fill your deck with various forms of light troopers and flood an area, but if you do you deplete the currency you need to pay for more stuff and leave yourself low on life. In a way these games already kinda do penalize you for having cards in play at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.