A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand the rules for this scenario, BOTH sides receive a VP banner for every two Argive Units in a foret hex. What is the strategy here? If both sides get VPs for Argive units in the forest what's the point? Is it the idea that the Argive are trying to get a stalemate by running into the woods and the Spartans are essentially racing to prevent them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will geta lot more active discussion if you cite the complete description of the victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
As I understand the rules for this scenario, BOTH sides receive a VP banner for every two Argive Units in a foret hex. What is the strategy here? If both sides get VPs for Argive units in the forest what's the point? Is it the idea that the Argive are trying to get a stalemate by running into the woods and the Spartans are essentially racing to prevent them?

Link to scenario page of ccancient.net
http://www.ccancients.net/Maps/Peloponnesian-War-431-404-BC/...

It seems to me the Argive is looking to take an early banner, and then flee into the forest with enough units to win.

Conversely the Spartan also wants to take an early lead to prevent this strategy, and also to eliminate units in the forest to prevent the Argive player from controlling the outcome.

Not a favourite scenario of mine, but a novel one. The Spartans clearly could overpower the Argives in a straight battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
What Mark said. I asked RB the first time I read the scenario and the rule plays as it is written: the Argive player can make the battle shorter by entering the Sacred Grove (both sides get closer to the end condition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.