Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilberto Rivera
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording in the rules is a bit awkward in this section.
If you are able to satisfy a demand with either a demand tile or an accomplished Trajan tile, are you free to chose either or are demand tiles always consumed first if they are available?
In effect, can a Trajan tile "protect" a demand tile from being used?
After playing through the game, it seemed natural that Trajan tiles can be used this way, looking for confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
You are free not to satisfy any demand, even if you could. And you are free to choose how to satisfy that demand, limited only by the extent of your power to satisfy it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
HuginnGreiling wrote:
You are free not to satisfy any demand, even if you could. And you are free to choose how to satisfy that demand, limited only by the extent of your power to satisfy it at all.

Are you sure? Page 8 says "Important: If a player can meet a demand, they must do so."

And since Trajan demand tiles do not exhaust when used, it follows that Trajan demand tiles "pay" for the demands before demand tiles are consumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Not true as it turns out. Take a look at the thread currently below this one.

You must satisfy as many demands as it is possible for you to satisfy.

That being said, of course you can use a Trajan tile for a given demand even if you have a forum tile for that demand. As long as you satisfy as many demands as you possibly can either way. If there were two demands for fire and you had only one Forum tile for fire and a Trajan tile for fire you'd be required to use them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
SaltyHorse wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

Are you sure? Page 8 says "Important: If a player can meet a demand, they must do so."

You are right! Trust me to miss the text reading IMPORTANT.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
[-]You are free not to satisfy any demand, even if you could.

I'm afraid that's not correct. This point was kicked to death very recently and the publisher stepped in to give a definitive answer. In short, if you can satisfy a demand, you must. What's more you must satisfy as many as you possibly can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The question in the OP is different. They are asking if you can choose to spend the smaller (turquoise) tile to meet the demand instead of using the completed Trajan tile.

I suspect that the OP has the rules wrong regarding these Trajan tiles.

Those Trajan tiles meet the demand every round and are not discarded/spent. As such, you will always use them to meet the demand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilberto Rivera
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I guess my own wording was ambiguous
My question was regarding the wording of the rules.

When I read the section on meeting demand, it seemed to me that it could be read in such a way that implied that if a player had the smaller turquoise demand tiles available, they must use those to meet demands first, and only if they couldn't, could they rely on the recurring effect of the Trajan tile. I am aware that demand Trajan tiles remain available every quarter once accomplished

To give a concrete example:
At the end of a quarter, the demand tiles are 1 bread, 1 fire, 1 helmet.
On my player board I have 1 bread, 1 fire, and 1 helmet tile as well as 1 helmet Trajan tile.
The question is, must I use my 3 tiles to meet the demands, or can I spend the fire and bread tiles and rely on the permanent Trajan tile to satisfy the helmet demand thereby "saving" the helmet tile?

Sounds like from Jonathan's revised reply the answer is yes, the tile can be saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Basically, the summary of that thread is that you must use your Trajan demand tiles and normal (non-wild) Forum demand tiles first and, only then, must use wild Forum demand tiles if you still have unsatisfied demands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Basically, the summary of that thread is that you must use your Trajan demand tiles and normal (non-wild) Forum demand tiles first and, only then, must use wild Forum demand tiles if you still have unsatisfied demands.

Sorry for nit-picking but that bit isn't quite true. I think I said something to that effect at some point in that thread, but it isn't true. What's important is that you ultimately satisfy as many demands as possible. If you spend your non-wild forum tiles first and then spend your wild forum tiles you will always satisfy to your maximum ability, but you may have been able to do things differently and still reach this maximum.

The rule would have been clearer if they had used such a procedure. Since wilds can be spent on the senate tiles I don't think making this spending order does anything except enforce smart play. Unless I'm forgetting something you would always rather have a wild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, so it is the same.
I mean, playing by that procedure ensures that 1) you satisfy to your maximum ability and 2) you play in the best possible manner (since you always want to keep a wild instead of a normal demand tile).

So just remembering "normal demand tiles first, wild demand tiles last if needed" is the easiest and best thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.