Hide
7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Any reason to get this instead of Quarriors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Weiss
msg tools
I am intrigued by these dice building games (LotR, Quarriors, Marvel Dice Masters). My first choice is Marvel Dice Masters, but I am not a superhero fan, and my wife (and main gaming partner) hates them and absolutely refuses to play that. So I am left with Quarriors and LotR Dice Building game. This game looks fun, but most reviews say skip it and try Quarriors instead. Is there any reason why I should prefer this to Quarriors? Theme isn't an issue, my wife and I both like both themes, so I am really looking at gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the LotR Dice game - haven't had a chance to play it yet. I do know that the initial rules were horrible according to pretty much everyone. You need the updated rules from their website to really play effectively. Rahdo did a runthrough, IIRC and did pretty well so watching that could be useful.

Quarriors has the benefit of the expansions and some of them add some interesting mechanisms to the game. I think the big one was the questing mechanic. The initial dice production was a bit spotty (some good, some not), but the later revisions seem to have sorted most of that pretty well. If you have an iPad, you may want to download Quarriors for the iPad to try it. Quarriors is probably the way to go overall and even has another expansion planned, if I recall correctly.

Having looked at the rules and playthrough for the Marvel Dice Masters game, I'd actually say that looks like the best 2p game of the lot. It's designed well for 2p and the flow makes sense. The collectible aspect is a hit or miss for some. For you, it wouldn't work due to the superhero theme (though look for it in non-superhero brands at some point in the future ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of "silliness" in the Quarriors rules which stem from a love affair quith quarping quords to match a theme.

The games actually play pretty much the same. The big difference to me has to do with what the player represents, which stems from the cooperative nature of the LotR version. In the LotR the players play each of the major characters cooperatively and not really in anything quite like a linear sequence of play. So, depending on which dice you throw you can be any combination of characters that might not have ever even met in the books.

It is disconcerting, a bit, but you do have to fight Saurons minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may fly counter to most people's opinion but I think that Lord of the Rings makes a better multiplayer game then Quarriors. I feel Quarriors is good as a two-player game but when more players are involved they can tune out if the dice are not rolling well for them. Playing Lord of the Rings as a fully cooperative game everyone remains involved in the gameplay. The theme is well woven into the game and has a solid feel to it. There were some major issues with the original instructions but they have been redone and the dust has settled on that issue. So, if you like cooperative play then Lord of the Rings wins hands-down. If you prefer player versus player then I would say go with Dice Masters. Quarriors demonstrates an excellent mechanic that has been refined and enhanced in both Lord of the Rings and the upcoming Dice Masters. I suppose one advantage to the Lord of the Rings is that it is complete and self-contained. With Dice Masters, if you enjoy it, you could easily spend much more than Lord of the Rings, what with all the expansions coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quarriors and Dice Masters are player versus players where as LOTR is co-op. It's a disconnected co-op mind you because there is a goal of being the overall winner due to victory points... but play to greedy and all can lose due to corruption.

When me and my wife play, we work together to beat the game and not worry about the victory points. It's important to remember that victory points can be used during the game to help stop corruption.

If you like the idea of working together, then LOTR is a good game for that. I will admit that there isn't a lot of depth here though. It is a dice game after all and the luck of the roll is king. What makes up for this are the choices you make in the dice you chose to pickup during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After our first play of LOTR last night, my wife and I both agree that LOTR is a better "game". The theme is tight. It feels like LOTR, like you're progressing from easy to complex challenges. The art is excellent and helps bring out the theme.

The game itself is medium weight. I'm not sure how it'll hold up after repeated plays but I think it'll be fun. Some house rules and fan variants will surely infuse fun new ways to play.

Compared to quarriors, which I have a lot of experience with, LOTR wins hands down. We don't play quarriors anymore. It's a shame because there's a good game hidden on there still, just not in it's current form. If quarriors were reworked and had a little more strategy and more involved decision making, it would be a great game. But it's not. LOTR works. Quarriors doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I thought the Lord of the Rings dice building game was SEMI-co-operative, not fully co-operative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.