Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Oss» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unclear on "continue to play" and meaning of "how many jacks he will use" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am missing something fundamental about how this game is supposed to be played.

At the beginning of the rules, it is stated "As long as he catches the Jack, he can continue to play, even if he didn't successfully perform the required action." What does that mean, exactly? Later in the rules, it says that you can have a retry if you discard a Tribe card. How does that relate to "continuing to play?" I am not even sure how to ask the question it is so insufficiently explained in the rules. Does it mean that you can continue to try to accumulate successes toward your Tribe card goal as long as you catch the white Jack?

Also, I thought I understood what the number on the Tribe card means until I read the FAQ.

For example, the Aslik (heh heh) trick.
Toss the jacks on the table/ Throw/up grab the Jack int he classic way. DO: pick up one by one the jacks on the table.

My basic question is, does the tribe card in general dictate the number of jacks you need to pick up/move before you catch the white Jack, or the number of times you need to do the trick with a single jack? The videos are no help here.

What does the Tribe card number mean for "Polopo?" Is it the number of times you need to transfer all 4 jacks into your hand, or the number of jacks you must get into your palm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Amir Perret
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hello, I'm sorry for the delay to answer your questions and sorry if it's not clear enough in the rules.

Quote:
"As long as he catches the Jack, he can continue to play, even if he didn't successfully perform the required action." What does that mean, exactly?

It means that in all the different figures, as long as you grab back the jack that you threw, you don't lose. For Wollo for example, if you throw your jack, then you fail passing a jack on the table over your hand, as long as you grab back the jack you threw it's ok, you don't lose. BUT if you don't catch it back then this is a fail and you can use a replay. So that's the answer, I hope, to your other question :

Quote:
Later in the rules, it says that you can have a retry if you discard a Tribe card. How does that relate to "continuing to play?"

Quote:
Does it mean that you can continue to try to accumulate successes toward your Tribe card goal as long as you catch the white Jack?

Accumulate successes ? what do you mean ? Let's go for an example. You played a 3 on Wollo and nobody duels you, so to win your 3 points, you need to pass 3 times a jack over your hand.
1st try : you throw your jack, you fail passing a jack on the table over your hand but you grab back the jack you threw. Ok, you can start again, you don't lose.
2nd try : you throw your jack, this time you manage to pass the jack over your hand. That's ONE.
You need to do it 2 more times if you want to get the 3 points.
Warning : if you already passed one over your hand. The second you try, you fail. You can try to start again this figure by doing a replay. But you have to start again from the beginning. So succeeding 3 times.
Is that clear ?

Quote:
My basic question is, does the tribe card in general dictate the number of jacks you need to pick up/move before you catch the white Jack, or the number of times you need to do the trick with a single jack? The videos are no help here.

It depends on the figure. Most of the times , the number indicates the number of times you have to do the figure to succeed. That's the case of Aslik (pronounce AZlik ! ). If you play a 4, then you have to do the figure 4 times not grabing 4 jacks one time.
There are only 2 exceptions :
Nampan : you need to get at least the number of jacks in your hand indicated by the card you played
Numa : you need to get at least the number of jacks in your hand indicated by the card you played

Quote:
What does the Tribe card number mean for "Polopo?" Is it the number of times you need to transfer all 4 jacks into your hand, or the number of jacks you must get into your palm?

You always start by putting 4 jacks between your fingers. Depending on the card you played, you have to transfer the number of jacks in the palm of your hand, one after the other.

I hope that I answered your questions, I promise that I'll be faster to answer if you have other questions or if it's not clear enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've got it now thanks. I have been really enjoying playing this with my 6 year old boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Amir Perret
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thanks, it's a pleasure to read this. Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.