Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a post about this on reddit the other day, and I got some good responses and figured I'd bring it up on BGG. The creators of Fireteam Zero have stated that they want their game to be "open source" in the sense that all of the source assets will be provided for players to create their own cards, maps, counters, etc. They're even giving out the 3D models for all their models and have already given some recommended vendors to print things for you. They've actually already released 2 models in the most recent update for people to go ahead and download and start playing with.

I think this is really awesome, it's like the board game equivalent of a mod kit and shows that they're embracing the 3D printing future which a lot of people have said will kill companies like GW. Personally, I wouldn't do much with the 3D models as I'm not artistic like that; I DO think I'll use the card assets to make my own characters etc.

Is this something you all see as catching on in the future? Obviously board game companies can't do stuff like this for games they've licensed, and I can't see FFG doing this even for in-house stuff...but does anyone else thing this is a pretty cool thing for smaller companies to do? The variant/re-skin/etc community for board games is thriving and this feels like a cool way to encourage that.

Disclaimer if necessary: I have no affiliation with the Kickstarter campaign except being a backer. I just want to discuss the open source/mod kit aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think there is definitely a future in this. There's already a lot of game "parts" available (shoot... craft stores have tons of items that can be used in games). There are also quite a few people who build their own versions of games or utilize the PnP instructions provided by the designers. 3D printers just make the possibilities even greater.

Eventually, game designers will start to integrate computers, 3D printers and other available game elements into design plans from the beginning... not just as afterthoughts. Self publishing could eventually turn into a huge segment of the gaming community (it already is a small chunk).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

Self publishing could eventually turn into a huge segment of the gaming community (it already is a small chunk).

This point is really relevant I think. It's conceivable that in the future big publishers could release the equivalent of PnP, especially if 3D printers become as ubiquitous as a lot of people say they will. It feels like video game devs who embraced digital distribution rather than fighting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon there is a future for it. Some computer game companies has profited from making it easy for people to mod their games so why not board games? Releasing the whole game open source would mean that people could make their own, but I doubt that'd reduce sales - I could make my own chess set but it's cheaper and easier to buy one. I'd have thought that overall it'd help a game being open source. It'd certainly eliminate problems like an expansion or promo being out of print if you could relatively easily make your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I reckon there is a future for it. Some computer game companies has profited from making it easy for people to mod their games so why not board games? Releasing the whole game open source would mean that people could make their own, but I doubt that'd reduce sales - I could make my own chess set but it's cheaper and easier to buy one. I'd have thought that overall it'd help a game being open source. It'd certainly eliminate problems like an expansion or promo being out of print if you could relatively easily make your own.

Completely agree. I think back to Half-Life and how long Counter Strike and other mods lived on well beyond Valve's official support for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Creative Commons/Open Source Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.