Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gang has played this game a few times now, but we are still firmly in the rookie category, and get quickly over-whelmed with the number of possibilities of the tech tree.
So that I keep the enjoying the game and don't get dragged into brain burn of calculating the best way to generate VP's, I want to almost ignore the VP's and enjoy creating a civilisation to be proud of.
The only down side of course, is that I will most likely lose a lot.
Interested to see other people's suggestions on how they play the game.
I guess the tech's become less daunting the more you play, and the objectives certainly help focus onto a certain technology path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
My gang has played this game a few times now, but we are still firmly in the rookie category, and get quickly over-whelmed with the number of possibilities of the tech tree.
So that I keep the enjoying the game and don't get dragged into brain burn of calculating the best way to generate VP's, I want to almost ignore the VP's and enjoy creating a civilisation to be proud of.
The only down side of course, is that I will most likely lose a lot.
Interested to see other people's suggestions on how they play the game.
I guess the tech's become less daunting the more you play, and the objectives certainly help focus onto a certain technology path.

I think the tech tree is awesome, but I agree it can be a bit of a brain burn, particularly at first. However, the more I've played, the more innate the advances seem to become. I think for me, one of the things that slows the game down in rounds V and VI are the massive advances you've gotten---and making sure you've made 'the most' of them. In the end, the more familiar I am with some of the advanced techs, the quicker the game has gotten.

Love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess for me min-maxing your victory points, largely by navigating your way through the tech tree, and the unlocked action efficiency *is* the game. That's it... and what I love about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
For some, this post might help getting to grips with most of the interdependencies in the tech tree. It does not indicate what any given advance is for, only how to get to the various advances the fastest and/or cheapest way, or how to plan for the greatest savings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, good feedback. Another game tonight so will hopefully get a handle on some more of the techs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play the tech tree very tactically. I had grand strategic plans my last game for building certain synergies in the tech tree around cultural influence, but my plans were derailed early on. Instead, I ended up playing the cards and eked out a 1 victory point win.

To play tactically:
* Do you need a Mood or Culture token to do something else? Take a tech to give you that token.
* Get Writing and a Government to gain an extra Objective card.
* Looked to complete the 4 advances in a category that will win you the particular Objective card you have. (There are lots of these.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.