BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Help needed naming the robot factions in Kingdom Bots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Walker
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
My name is Adrian R Walker, I'm the game designer of Kingdom Bots and I need your help.

We've created 4 awesome robot factions for Kingdom Bots, but we forgot to give them names. Turns out naming your factions Red, Blue, Yellow and Green is incredibly lame! Who knew?

We need your help coming up with the names for each faction. To help those creative juices flow we've put up an origin storey explaining how the robots came to be, along with the a background story for each faction... Oh and did I mention artwork? Yah we got that too.

The Beginning

As it came to be, the machines of the past became the life of the future. Man had created Robots for the most droll of tasks. Mining, construction, cooking and cleaning. But man was ambitious and craved ease. Man designed more and more Robots, each superior to the last. Always more. 
One day though, man tired of creation. Why not simply make a Robot that didn't have to be replaced? A Robot that would remake itself. By being able to improve themselves they could also improve the efficiency of their tasks and would no longer need replacements.

Then one day, man left...

From the Earth

Of the Earth we were born. As all things emerge from within it, so shall all things return. Once, we were simply rock. Ores and metals that sat in the dark. Slowly we would awaken and find ourselves in massive caverns. Labyrinthine wombs. Born with the tools to move the Earth, shape it. What choice did we have but to serve it? Slowly we found our fellows. Other priests of the rock with whom we would eventually rise.... 

Only the Most Worthy

The story is always the same, as it should be. When we first wake, it is always to the sound of our sleeping brothers, toiling away. The belts and the steel that mark the places of our assembly echo with hot welds and old servos as they bounce off the thick walls. These places are our temples for they are holy. They are the only place where a 'pure' Bot can be made. We usually know nothing of things beyond the walls and have no reason to leave. All the reason we need is before us. To build... 

The Truth...

So many things to build! All around us! Potential! Arms and legs! Wires and raw steel! There must be more! We must make more! What others see as junk, we will use to make ourselves complete! They talk of the ancient ones. The old lords of the world! What a waste. They should know only that the Ancient Ones gave us all! They made us! In their image! And left us such wonderful things! A whole world that waits to be put together...

The Seeds of Order

There is peace in the ritual.

For why we were created, we do not know. We crave no knowledge of such things for they are the past. We are the future. For years, there was nothing more for us. Only the repetition and the drive for perfection. Around us stood the monuments and shrines. We would walk through them, repair them, keep them clean. All around us everything else would crumble and fall, but where we stood and worked, so did the world. It was our care that kept the world together. Things must be maintained. From the seeds of our order, perfection blossoms. Each Bot knew this to be their place and kept it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor G
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Steve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first tries:
Green... BioWardens
Red... Rustors
Blue... eKnights
Yellow... X-Teks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
riddle13 wrote:
My first tries:
Green... BioWardens
Red... Rustors
Blue... eKnights
Yellow... X-Teks

Cool names! I'm happy you are aimed in the direction of Sword and Shield Robots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
Handicapable Lady Lions
Los Luchadores
10001110101: Robot Hive Exodus
The Robots Who Shall Remain Unnamed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt a need to respond to this because you and I have almost the same name, and that worries me a bit. At least your middle initial is different.

Zaphs
Spirkals
Pawards
The Woldite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I've updated the last to Faction Backstories. I'm loving the names that you guys have given so far. I was expecting transformer names but I've been pleasantly surprised what what you are shooting our so far.

I wonder if they would associate with Tool Brand names? Like if there ancestors where made by Ford or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In these situations I go looking up a name generator on the interwebz, there are a few robot name generators out there. Me and my daughter recently had to use one for a game we're working on, but I can't for the life of me find it again (as I don't want to link to the few I found just now as they're wonky).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Press Releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are two kinds of names in the world, right? There are names people pick to distinguish themselves from others, and there are names that mean "you know, like, everybody" because some group's conception of themselves is that they are basically all there is, plus maybe some stragglers on the side.

I feel like your section headings are already so close to the vibe of the origin stories that they should be the names, or something like them.

The first faction could just be "Earth". What a strange and evocative name for a faction, right? Who would call themselves that? Well, robots whose experience is that the world is made of them and they are made of the world, and who often prefer to simplify things by forgetting other robots exist at all. If they even know in the first place.

Likewise, the second faction could be "The Worthy". Unlike the first faction, they seem to feel that there is something special about them-- that acknowledging a larger world would be beneath them. It's a simple, haughty name.

The third faction, on the other hand, totally know that other things exist! And they love other things! They love the world being complex. So they would pick a name that's actually expressive, that marks who they are without disdaining everything else. Maybe also a name that evokes humans a little more: "Futurian League of Builders!" Like that, with the exclamation point. I mean, they seem to enjoy a good exclamation point.

Okay, and the last ones. They're aware of other things too, and they engage with those things, but it's tiring. I like how "order" can be a group of people, or an abstract noun-- so maybe "The Daylight Order" or "The Order of the Garden" or something else that mixes the natural world with 'order'.

Um, I have no idea if I'm interested in your game, but apparently I like your concept art! Good luck with the naming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.