Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card says blue can pay 2 for +hawk. Should it not be +Dove?
Does blue player want to increase or decrease hawk?

re edit: Its like the hawk should have a blue background and the dove red

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Dove/Hawk values are on the same scale. Negative values are Hawk, and positive are Dove. The blue player wants the Dove/Hawk scale to be more negative. Unfortunately the way it's presented is a bit odd as one can't speak of "increasing the Hawkishness" or decreasing the Hawk value, which is what the Blue wants to do _mathematically_.

OK, so the Blue player wants to keep the value of the Hawk/Dove negative and they want to make it as negative as they can. So I think the card means that the Blue player can pay 2 to move Hawk/Dove marker one more position in the negative direction on the scale.

So as a specific example. If the marker is on the Hawk side and at "3" the Blue player spending 2 moves the marker to "4" (-3 becomes -4). If the marker is on the _Dove_ side and on the "5" space when the Blue player spends 2, the marker moves to "4" (+5 becomes +4).

Of course, if the Red player gets to move the marker they move it in the opposite direction as more _positive_ is better for their cause.

Clear as mud?

PS - yes, the colors do seem reversed, don't they because the Dove is a pro Red condition, and Hawk is a pro Blue condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers. What confused me even more was that this card was played right after the Operation Phoenix card. A VC+ was revealed, killed and a dove was added. I thought that this should have been a good thing and wondered why it wasn't +hawk. This convinced me that I had things backwards.

I really wished they just used a VP track like Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
H&M is a very good game but goodness knows it has its quirks.

Operation Phoenix is an event that usually benefits the Blue player, at the risk that in the rare case where the revealed VC is a VC+ ... the operation produces bad public relations back in the states (presumably through the media), hence the +Dove move.

The Blue player occasionally is forced to make a choice whether to get a favorable result, which entails an undesirable impact on the Dove/Hawk track.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.