Hide
4 Posts

Monopoly» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sealed Auction Opening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Staton
msg tools
It's been many years since I was ten and just learning this game with my family. It has been nearly as long since I actually played at all. Now I have my own kids who are just grasping counting and basic math, so I broke Monopoly out again. The adult group of non-gamer's I know are still up to such silliness on a Friday night though I still have a hard time swallowing all the randomness at the start and the threat of an all night game if someone is refusing trades.

My questions are if anyone has tried an auction for all 28 properties before the dice are rolled for the first time? Also if anyone has bid for turn order (high bid receiving first choice, given that last may be favored by some players if the board is bought out).

Everyone in my group knows the proper rules already, so my theory is that if the majority of the board sells after setting a minimum bid on the deeds that the portion of the game that is largely luck has moved into actual decision making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Huttner
United States
Mount Crawford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like your auction idea but it may take some time. Have you looked up the speed die varient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Staton
msg tools
A sealed auction has all bids for all properties from all players submitted on a bid sheet as the game starts. We did give it a shot and time wise, the auction was over before the money was counted for each player.

The game we played had 4 monopolies coming into the game, with the remaining two players unable to make a trade to get a monopoly. However, the Monopolies were extremely hard to fund that early and the other two players still participated by having over $1000 remaining to buy the unsold properties. Otherwise we played by the official rules and had a 50 minute game.

In the future we will be setting minimum bids to the full price listed on the board, with ties remaining in possession of the bank. After several mock start ups we stopped having anyone trying to buy entire sets and almost everyone making a bid on several colors and a railroad.

I have not tried the speed die. However I think for the purposes of our group I'll stick to the auction. Adding a new die still leaves random results, where even a blind sealed auction like we did leaves educated guessing at worst (fastest) and true money management at best (slower auction formats).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark keedwell
United Kingdom
weston super mare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we are playing 12 player speed game at the moment watch in video section .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.