Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered pixel tactics from them months ago. Aside from the fact that it's taking a good amount of time, I hope I won't face the same charges you did.

That would really piss me off :/. Here's to hoping...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoting from your other thread.
Quote:
In the case of goods posted from outside the EU, it is the amount on the Customs Declaration, which includes the price paid for the goods, the cost of transport, postage and packing, insurance and any duty that may be payable.

So level99 is correct in adding the shipping cost

It's still a fair warning though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
£37 ($62) is a lot of money for what I assume was a copy of Pixel Tactics. Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
Gaming with the family :)
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the Battlecon Devastation Enhanced Edition expansion that I had ordered as this isn't available anywhere in the UK.

I collected the package this morning. To be fair to Lvl99 they had declared board game and shipping as seperate items on the customs declaration so HMRC have chosen to base their decision on the total. I will take it up with HMRC and see if I can get it refunded. I'll post back here when/if I'm successful.

Fingers crossed they have included some promos to ease my pain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
planetm wrote:
It was the Battlecon Devastation Enhanced Edition expansion that I had ordered as this isn't available anywhere in the UK.

I collected the package this morning. To be fair to Lvl99 they had declared board game and shipping as seperate items on the customs declaration so HMRC have chosen to base their decision on the total. I will take it up with HMRC and see if I can get it refunded. I'll post back here when/if I'm successful.

Fingers crossed they have included some promos to ease my pain!

IANAL: However, I did look into this before when I noticed the same thing happened to me, and I'm afraid that (in the UK) postage is legally included in the value HMRC charge upon (and thus needs to be declared), I think.

From what I understood, there's a value below which they won't charge a cent, which ignores postage and is just the item, but once you cross that boundary with the item they include postage in the value upon which they charge.

Once again: IANAL, and this is from internet research (and so is definitely 100% true in every way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I remember getting stung on something a few years ago coming into Ireland and the delivery cost was included in the calculation.

Which makes me worry about my Devastation coming from Canada on the slow boat (ordered 17th Feb, still waiting).

Anyway, doing a bit of research ont'web I did find this handy dandy website:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calcul...

There is limited free use but it seems to give a good estimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Salt
United Kingdom
Bude
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Yeah, i got a customs sting on my copy of BattleCON: War last week, but it's really not lvl99's fault. They had labelled the item separately from the postage, it's HRMC that are being the overzealous d-bags.

If brad says he has to do it, i have no reason to beleive he is lying. I have never had an international package that DIDN'T have a postage cost labelled with the declaration form. And the rules on the HRMC website are pretty clear that postage cost is included in the customs charge.

International postage will always suck. Only 2 choices we have in the UK are suck it up, or never buy internationally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to ask a mod to remove this thread, as it seems my issue is with HMRC applying their rules incorrectly not with level 99. Sorry for any confusion. I will leave the thread in the retailers forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Watson
Australia
Ryde
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree. I was just coming in here to post the same thing. The overall tone of both the original post and the thread title are vilifying Level99 Games when they have done nothing wrong. I think the information in the thread is valid and should be allowed to be shared but any implication that Level99 Games has done something wrong in this regard should be edited out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anybody suggest a mod to contact about deleting the thread? I mailed one but have not heard back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just editing the original post to say "Hey! I've looked into it and it isn't Level 99's fault! Read the whole thread." would be better than erasing it entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I deleted the first post mistakenly thinking that would remove the thread so now I can't edit the post or title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's useful for other Brits to know the horrible fate awaiting them if they decide to go for the extended edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Twyker wrote:
I ordered pixel tactics from them months ago. Aside from the fact that it's taking a good amount of time, I hope I won't face the same charges you did.

That would really piss me off :/. Here's to hoping...

The slower stuff is coming a on a boat and will ship from within the EU. This was the exact reason we did it this way--to avoid all the customs charges (especially on pledges and orders over $100).

Unfortunately the rules for shipping are pretty obscure and not consistently enforced, which makes citizens feel that customs is more of a racket than a legitimate tax (which I'd agree with to some extent). I appreciate everyone who's chimed in with their experiences here. Someday we can hope for free trade between EU and USA.

Until then, EU distributors will be better source for our games than direct, and our direct-sales to Europe are mainly offered as a courtesy to those who really really want the games and simply can't get them anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.