Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
16.3.4 says that "if the active power loses a field battle in the port space at the end of a naval transport, all transported units are eliminated and any army leaders present are captured"

But what is the naval transport is also a seige relief?
15.2 (second bullet) says that "if the active player loses but the number of hits scored by both sides is equal, the active player may choose to retreat any units or army leaders that participated in the battle into the fortifications (inlcuding units that were part of the relief force that entered the space)"

These two clauses seem to give different outcomes in the situation where a naval transport is a seige relief and scores equal hits:
- under 16.3.4 transported units all die
- under 15.2 some units may be able to enter the fortification instead.

Has their been a ruling on this?

I can see arguments both ways:

Primacy of 16.3.4 is supported by the fact that clause 14.1 retreat rules would block retreat anyway (have to retreat to space from which units entered combat, but can't be a sea zone - ergo no valid retreat = eliminated). Clause may therefore exist to cover odd situations such as this seige relief scenario.

Primacy of 15.2 can be argued on the basis of its more specific application, whereas 16.3.4 is intended to cover the usual situation where retreat out of space is needed and cannot legally happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What if naval landing that is also seige relief loses but scores equal hits?
NOTE: not an official answer

I see no reason why 15.2 doesn't apply. As I understand it, the loss of all the units/leaders is directly due to the lack of a legal retreat path (glub glub glub). Any units that can retreat should. This seems to me to be the exact same situation as if a surrounded key is relieved. The units and leaders would be able to retreat into the fortress until the fortress is full, at which point any excess units are eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What if naval landing that is also seige relief loses but scores equal hits?
I don't know of a ruling on this, and an interesting question -- against my first instinct, I'd say the 15.2 clause should apply; because presumably the naval transport rule is to model the lack of an available retreat route, whilst 15.2 is providing just that when there is an "orderly" retreat back to the walls.

EDIT:
Jinx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If the result is tied, units could enter the fortifications. But any in excess of 4 would be eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:
If the result is tied, units could enter the fortifications. But any in excess of 4 would be eliminated.

As usual, Ed, thanks for the quick response.

What game are you designing now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.