Subject: Kickstarter Image Spam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to block the kickstarter game image spam from the image que on the front page?

I would love to have a way of seeing the cool images from other non-kickstarter games, without having to dig through the constant image spam of all of the kickstarters. Often there is page after page of this stuff.

Perhaps a separate tab? Game, people, creative, and kickstarter?

Or limit the the front page to just one image per game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it isn't spam. It may not be something you're interested in, but it is most certainly relevant and belongs there.

And it's always been that way, Kickstarter or no. Lately I've seen a ton of Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men images flowing through there - and that wasn't a Kickstarter. After GenCon and Essen you see a ton of images popping up on the image feed for whatever the biggest releases were from those conventions.

So if your problem is image saturation, you shouldn't just limit it to Kickstarter, unless you have a specific problem with just those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to block the wargame image spam from the image que on the front page?

I would love to have a way of seeing the cool images from other non-wargames, without having to dig through the constant image spam of all of the wargames. Often there is page after page of this stuff.

Perhaps a separate tab? Game, people, creative, and wargames?

I don't really use the image module that much and have no idea if wargame images are actually all that common there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
youperguy wrote:
Is there a way to block the kickstarter game image spam from the image que on the front page?

What about Kickstarter in particular is spammy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Front page of what? BGG? I thought that was only for newbies? I bookmarked and usually only click on the new replies link to see replies on my subscriptions, or look at active posts (since recent posts link doesn't really show the most recent posts, oddly). Otherwise I'm clicking on other links on the page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

I would love to have a way of seeing the cool images from other non-kickstarter games, without having to dig through the constant image spam of all of the kickstarters. Often there is page after page of this stuff.

I have my image module set to recent, so I see everything as it's uploaded, and it gets replaced as more is uploaded. You might try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
youperguy wrote:

I think it can count as spam - I've followed Kickstarter campaigns where the backers deliberately orchestrate (via the backers comments) adding pictures/ mass co-ordinated thumbing of pictures with the stated intent of getting their game in BGG's hotness in order to get more pledges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
I think it can count as spam - I've followed Kickstarter campaigns where the backers deliberately orchestrate (via the backers comments) adding pictures/ mass co-ordinated thumbing of pictures with the stated intent of getting their game in BGG's hotness in order to get more pledges.

I agree. But I guess it's not avoidable. However, if someone considers taking part in capaigns in this way, they must know it is a two-edged sword. It will put people off as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
youperguy wrote:

I have my image module set to recent, so I see everything as it's uploaded, and it gets replaced as more is uploaded. You might try that.

Sounds like the best solution. Thanks.

Edit: Is there a setting where I can save recent so that when I restart BGG it doesn't default to hot? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the red header bar of the Announcements module is also a link to edit the front page

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekcentral/edit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
entwife wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Even beyond that... I saw one Kickstarter campaign where if the game reached a certain spot in the hotness or better, some new thing for the game would be unlocked. I found that to be ridiculous. It's free advertising on BGG for the campaign and circumventing the rules about advertising. Yes, it's technically user driven, but it seems underhanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
entwife wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
youperguy wrote:

I think that this is fine as long as the uploaded pictures are relevant, and there are not too many of them. At the end of the day what's happening is that content is being added to the BGG database, so as long as it is useful content (and not a dozen individual shots of kickstarter prototype cards or something like that) then I wouldn't call it spam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
entwife wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Problems like this will keep cropping up and requiring patches until we have a real rating system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Coulombe
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Are you Alive?
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
entwife wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
youperguy wrote:

I think that this is fine as long as the uploaded pictures are relevant, and there are not too many of them. At the end of the day what's happening is that content is being added to the BGG database, so as long as it is useful content (and not a dozen individual shots of kickstarter prototype cards or something like that) then I wouldn't call it spam.

The issue with most kickstarter images getting into the database is that the picture often shows a single game component that is the big news of the day on the campaign (ex: the new card / faction / etc.). Single components are not suppose to get through geekmod...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that it's a problem with flooding and I'm working on a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
Even beyond that... I saw one Kickstarter campaign where if the game reached a certain spot in the hotness or better, some new thing for the game would be unlocked. I found that to be ridiculous. It's free advertising on BGG for the campaign and circumventing the rules about advertising. Yes, it's technically user driven, but it seems underhanded.

is there a way to flag a game so it doesn't appear on the hotness at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Coulombe
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Are you Alive?
mbmbmbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

is there a way to flag a game so it doesn't appear on the hotness at all?

This is a different issue than the images. I don't see a problem with people trying to put a game into the hotness list. If they manage to do so, good for them! It means that a sufficient amount of people do care about the game, even if it is a concerted effort and even if it is part of a kickstarter campaign.

The goal of a KS project is to attract backer in order to produce a game. People do so by going on this site and being active on the game page, whether with images, thumbs, fan, ratings, forum, etc. It is a good thing for the gamer community. Sur it might not reflect what game is hot throughout a full year, but for the few days of the campaign, that game is really hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
and crikey!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking out the images used to one of my favourite BGG activities. I've found the flood of Kickstarter images has made this activity pretty boring. I've been particularly annoyed at seeing the 'game' section filled with components of one game while the 'creative' section was filled with the very illustrations used on those components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzza wrote:
Checking out the images used to one of my favourite BGG activities. I've found the flood of Kickstarter images has made this activity pretty boring. I've been particularly annoyed at seeing the 'game' section filled with components of one game while the 'creative' section was filled with the very illustrations used on those components.

Same here. The idea of limiting the hot page to one image per game might be a good idea, but I would appreciate seeing more interesting images. I always enjoyed checking out the most attractive recent photos that had been uploaded, but I am interested in the 9 images all showing different cards from the latest kickstarter.

The images are getting through Geekmod because there are so few photos for new games so people are less discerning when they see an entry with very few images (for right or for wrong).

There are so many cool and pretty or fun images taken and uploaded by users, I want to see them instead. The recent photos idea is ok, but it still is not really filtering them, it just means you don't see the kickstarter hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Aldie wrote:
I do think that it's a problem with flooding and I'm working on a solution.

DOWNVOTING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If certain images get pushed to the Hot section due to people accessing them, I don't see it as an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyudes wrote:
I don't see a problem with people trying to put a game into the hotness list.

I don't see a problem with this, either.

I do see a problem with a KS explicitly asking backers to game the system for a tangible reward, as was cited in ImaginaryRoot's example. It doesn't seem much different from, say, a KS asking everyone to go vote their game a 10 on BGG and offering a reward for the game hitting X spot in the rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:

There's definitely been a change in what images get the most thumbs. Game designers/publishers getting fans to thumb images of forthcoming games on Kickstarter has contributed to this, but so is the fact that people thumb any new information about a hot new unreleased game. As a result, the images that get the most thumbs tend to be box covers and components of popular forthcoming games, rather than actually good game photos.

As evidence, look at the list of most thumbed images for 2007-2009, where there are some great game photos:
● 2007: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/265332/top-images-of-200...
● 2008: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/368260/top-images-of-200...
● 2009: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/478586/top-300-board-gam...

Now compare that to the list of most thumbed images for 2013, where many images (including two of the top 3) are just components or box covers that have massive thumbs generated by Kickstarter and cult-of-the-new frenzy:
● 2013: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1096253/top-images-of-20...

Meanwhile the truly good game photos that deserve thumbs - like the ones on the list below - often don't even make it on the most thumbed images list at the end of the year.

2013 Picture of the Year contest - Huge GG Prizes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Begging for thumbs does seem wrong...

"Thumb Drive

We are also running a Thumb Drive for GDFR on BGG. A “thumb drive” is a request for users to thumb up images in a game’s gallery. More views and thumbs helps get a game onto “The Hotness” list at BoardGameGeek, which in turn helps put the game in front of more people who may not have heard of it yet."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Begging for thumbs does seem wrong...

"Thumb Drive

We are also running a Thumb Drive for GDFR on BGG. A “thumb drive” is a request for users to thumb up images in a game’s gallery. More views and thumbs helps get a game onto “The Hotness” list at BoardGameGeek, which in turn helps put the game in front of more people who may not have heard of it yet."

Funny, this has just turned me off the game really. It's like the needy kid at school always looking for gold stars.

Reputation may not come naturally, but it should be seen to come naturally.

I.e. desperate much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.