Subject: For all the Obamacare lovers..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is better now?
What has obamacare done that makes everything so wonderful?
Widespread claims of having to pay more, and getting less. Doctors quitting. Wait times increasing. People being turned away from procedures because they cant get approval through the goat rope of obamacare.....

What is better now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I can witness any of your claims. Still going through all of the procedures from my accident of 2012, no problems in any of the offices I attend. And that's a lot of offices. Maybe it's happening, but no where I can see.

You know what I can see?

My brother is better now.

He does tax appraisals as an independent contractor. No benefits.

His insurance rate has dropped incredibly and his coverage is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my friends have had their premiums go up, but that's all I've seen for effects around here. It hasn't affected me at all since I don't pay anything for my employer provided insurance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My insurance rates have dropped (almost in half) instead of risen by 15-30% every year like they have for the past 15+ years. I have not experienced any reduction in medical care nor had to wait any longer than I ever have. The doctors I know personally are happy with the bill and wish it had done more.

My handicapped son who was born with a pre-existing condition and often experiences extended stays in the hospital will be able to get insurance his entire life and not have to face a life time of medical debts.

I'd say it's considerably better now. Thanks for asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A close friend of ours who has a preexisting medical condition is now able to afford insurance, which is a big relief to her and us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
My insurance rates have dropped (almost in half) instead of risen by 15-30% every year like they have for the past 15+ years. I have not experienced any reduction in medical care nor had to wait any longer than I ever have. The doctors I know personally are happy with the bill and wish it had done more.

My handicapped son who was born with a pre-existing condition and often experiences extended stays in the hospital will be able to get insurance his entire life and not have to face a life time of medical debts.

Every cost of my insurance has gone up. And the benefits have been cut. I suppose to allow people like you to pay less, people like me have to pay more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean like lovers in the biblical sense? Because, like, ouch! Papercuts! I think they're covered though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
My brother-in-law has insurance that is far cheaper than Cobra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
batman wrote:

Every cost of my insurance has gone up. And the benefits have been cut. I suppose to allow people like you to pay less, people like me have to pay more.

That's weird that insurance companies would charge more for some people and less for others. That seems so unlike them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

Holy crap, your brother in law is my brother!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
she2 wrote:

Which makes her your wife! Holy crap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents looked into the lowest plan on the exchanges, and the max out of pocket was 15,000 dollars, and they would have had to pay over 1000 dollars a month for coverage. Outrageous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Every cost of my insurance has gone up. And the benefits have been cut.

Personally, we did a weird juggle.

Our costs dropped. And we added a new benefit. We took the amount that the insurance dropped and put that money into a flex account for medical spending where I actually have a debut card for doctors now.

For some reason, that money is not taxed.

So, essentially, it kind of worked as a raise in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
My parents looked into the lowest plan on the exchanges, and the max out of pocket was 15,000 dollars, and they would have had to pay over 1000 dollars a month for coverage. Outrageous.

And what do they pay now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
I'll add another vote to the "pre-existing condition" crowd. I broke my foot the day before I went on my insurance at my new job, and if not for the Affordable Care Act, they would have treated it as a pre-existing condition and denied all claims associated with it (this isn't speculation; the woman who took my first call warned me that it might be denied). That turned what would have been a $100,000+ bill to something I could actually afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
she2 wrote:

Which makes her your wife! Holy crap!

I KNEW she had a logon she wasn't telling me about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
"pre-existing condition" ... broke my foot

Wow, I always picture Pre-Existing to be like cancer or diabetes. Never realized it applies to injuries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the effect is some pay more some pay less. Some now get health care who could not before, and no one has actually lost healthcare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
What is better now?

We don't really know because:

a) These programs take time to actually have an impact.
b) The screwed up website has really limited the impact.
c) These programs take time to actually have an impact.
d) The actual costs aren't well understood - we only have estimates to work from.
e) These programs take time to actually have an impact.
f) The benefits won't become particularly apparent until we can do things like see if personal bankruptcies drop as a result of coverage, hiring increases/slows, medical costs change, etc.
g) These programs take time to actually have an impact.

It's pretty stupid to expect a program with macroeconomic impacts to "do something" immediately. It's hard for them to even do something quickly, which is why stimulus packages for recessions are always so hotly debated (particularly the stuff with a really low multiplier effect historically).

What's better? People have a higher chance of being able to afford care. Ask me for more in a year or two (which is also when you should start looking for real impacts for things like changing the tax code or social safety nets). Until then, all you can do is spout talking points and that's just stupid political rhetoric. Things impacting 300+ million people rarely have an overnight impacts, so stop asking for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

And what do they pay now?

Dad lost his job, so they are without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Do you get insurance through your employer or buy it privately? Has it ever gone up in the past or have you ever had benefits cut in the past?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

What does 'lowest plan' mean? Is that a Bronze one? From looking at the calcs, the Bronze ones may have lower up front out of pocket costs, but are not the cheapest in the long run, depending upon the type of care you may use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Wow, I always picture Pre-Existing to be like cancer or diabetes. Never realized it applies to injuries.

It applied to just about anything an insurance company wanted it to that could possibly show up in your medical history. There are horror stories of people who didn't have a diagnosis, but didn't report things like fatigue or occasional dizziness on applications losing coverage because it turned out to be Lyme disease or a tumor and the insurance company used that to say "fraudulent application."

Granted, those horror stories can be as bad, factually, as the horror stories about finding coverage under the ACA, but they really did occur. And the only remedy was to sue the insurance company - a costly and difficult prospect with no guarantee of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One point, I don't think any one loves Obamacare. Even it's supporters think it is a rather unwieldy (and unsatisfactory) fudge, because a truly universal healthcare system cannot be achieved due to the GOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Do you get insurance through your employer or buy it privately? Has it ever gone up in the past or have you ever had benefits cut in the past?

I get it through my employer. Benefits were consistent for 9 years and were cut after ACA. The largest price increase by FAR was after the ACA also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.