tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray MacPherson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mb
The Powerup expansion for King of Tokyo because it adds a little extra and character asymmetry that makes for a more interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion
It adds more scenarios for co-op and solo play, while adding a tonne of new variety that you can just mix into the game without making it more complex than it was before.

My biggest beef with expansions is that they often make the game more complex, and if you want to introduce a new person to the game, you have to go try to sort out all the new pieces because they really steepen the learning curve (see Galaxy Trucker: The Big Expansion), and that can be time consuming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan: Cities & Knights. Makes it a completely different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
^^ I agree, though things like Galaxy Trucker were already a pain to explain. Some of the fan-made player aids help a ton. You can leave out the other stuff besides the tiles.

I'm partial to Galaxy Trucker expansions myself because they add a ton of variety. I'm glad I got the Anniversary Edition on sale on amazon .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
savagec wrote:
^^ I agree, though things like Galaxy Trucker were already a pain to explain. Some of the fan-made player aids help a ton. You can leave out the other stuff besides the tiles.

I'm partial to Galaxy Trucker expansions myself because they add a ton of variety. I'm glad I got the Anniversary Edition on sale on amazon .

I have the first Galaxy Trucker expansion, and when playing with experienced players, it's fantastic. It is a great expansion. But, this used to be one of the games I often pulled out with people who were new to gaming - if introducing the rules slowly (as recommended in the rulebook), you could bring anyone into the game. Now I have the expansion pieces mixed in, and if I want to play it with someone new, I'd have to take a good chunk of time to sort out all the expansion pieces.

It's a good expansion, but it's one that makes introducing the game to people more difficult, and I have to admit, I pull this game out less now that I have the expansion, rather than more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm going to say Pandemic: On the Brink was an excellent expansion, because it refreshed a great game that had grown old for me... and added the bio-terrorist. Doesn't everybody loves a traitor in their cooperative games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion
It adds more scenarios for co-op and solo play, while adding a tonne of new variety that you can just mix into the game without making it more complex than it was before.

Canadians. love ittt

Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm is my favorite. It adds 5 completely optional modules for you to mix and match to your liking.

Player boards and governors for asymmetry.
Militia tokens for more strategy less luck during winter.
Events for more random, less strategy throughout the game.

Also it doesn't look weird like a separate board the way Arkham Expansions sometimes do. Those tend to feel forced to me.

Edit: apparenly a < next to a 3 breaks the text. No professing my true love for canucks here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign: Unseen Forces- It really put the challenge back into Elder Sign. Now with the addition of cursed die, and seperate cards for the locations, the game has us burning through characters like never before. Those cards that force locations to close are a pain, but a welcome addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 and Kaispeicher are two expansions that complete their respective games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords: Festival Season which is for my favorite game. It expands the game by adding more of everything.

More traps, monsters, events, spells, rooms, and heroes to fight. An extra season, new options to select, new hallways, and the dungeon petz.

I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

I'm going to say Pandemic: On the Brink was an excellent expansion, because it refreshed a great game that had grown old for me... and added the bio-terrorist. Doesn't everybody loves a traitor in their cooperative games?

Nope. I hate false coop games - but at least the bioterrorist is clearly identified rather than "one of you may be a traitor?"

However, that is one reason why I recommend the expansion - it will appeal to those with a competitive nature because they can help the diseases spread.

Other reasons? Better replay value. In the original set you didn't have 7 roles, only 5. The additional 7 roles meant you never knew the composition of your team's special abilities. You get extra event cards and then only put 2 in per player, which means you never know what set of special events you will get. You can add mutant or virulent strains, and the virulent strain has 8 cards so you never know how it will manifest.

On The Brink is one of the few expansions that I consider "essential" - which means buy the base game, play a few times, if you like it then immediately get the expansion.

In The Lab is not essential, but a fun addition to those really addicted to Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion. All of the CE expansions are awesome, as they add new aliens, which just makes my blood race, but the addition of the reward deck puts this one much higher than the others, as it's something I always play with.

Two more expansions that I've only played with once are the Belfort: The Expansion Expansion for Belfort, and the Troyes: The Ladies of Troyes expansion for Troyes. Both of these are just awesome. I really want to play more of each game, and don't think I'd want to play without the expansions included.

EDIT: I also think Kaispeicher is a great expansion for The Speicherstadt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion expansions in generall. Prosperity especially for colonies and platinum, but I think I really love Dark Ages and Guilds, they just didn't get much table time yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire - The new strategy cards fixed the few complaints I had about the base game. There was lots of other great stuff in it as well. Great expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.