Hide
19 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: STAW #4 in sales for non-collectable mini games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I figured based on the expanded releases and people's local anecdotes, the game was doing reasonably well. According to ICv2, it was in the top 5 in its category for Q4 2013 sales, beaten out by 40k, X-Wing, and Warmachine.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/markets/28125.html

Doesn't seem too shabby to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. But then why the shift to blind purchase? Notice 1-3 are not blind purchase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if with the new blind purchase scheme it can still be considered "non-collectible"? I suspect not, but I am not sure on what criteria ICV2 bases their categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
dc0nklin wrote:
Agreed. But then why the shift to blind purchase? Notice 1-3 are not blind purchase...

I think they're experimenting a bit just in the context of doing draft-style tournament stuff, but I would hope that Tactics going over like a wet fart in an elevator would keep them from embracing it whole-hog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:

Lighten up. The sky is not falling. Cats and Dogs are not living together.

It's a gimmick to provide some fresh and interesting gameplay options for Organized Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:

There's no "shift to blind purchase". It's an option for the stores for organized play only. There's still 19 ships coming out where you'll know exactly what you're buying before you shell out the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to pile on, but the Organized Play is probably not going to change the classification of the game on its own.

Really wish we had more info on the brick though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

There's no "shift to blind purchase". It's an option for the stores for organized play only. There's still 19 ships coming out where you'll know exactly what you're buying before you shell out the money.

Yes - it would be good if people get the story straight - STAW is NOT shifting to blind buys. The only aspect of "blind" in the equation has strictly to do with the upcoming Borg OP. Let's not get that confused with the game in general, which will still have announced, non-blind waves, according to everything we've seen or heard from WizKids. Man, it's amazing how rumors get started and expanded upon in the Interwebs!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Albright
msg tools
desertfox2004 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

Yes - it would be good if people get the story straight - STAW is NOT shifting to blind buys. The only aspect of "blind" in the equation has strictly to do with the upcoming Borg OP. Let's not get that confused with the game in general, which will still have announced, non-blind waves, according to everything we've seen or heard from WizKids. Man, it's amazing how rumors get started and expanded upon in the Interwebs!!!

You are 100% correct about it not shifting to blind buys.

right now

we don't know if this is a test case for OP, or a test case for a change in purchase model. So panic is unwarranted, but a little fear is okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigrayalbright wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

You are 100% correct about it not shifting to blind buys.

right now

we don't know if this is a test case for OP, or a test case for a change in purchase model. So panic is unwarranted, but a little fear is okay.

I will grant that. Let's hope there's no change to the base game approach with non blind buys. I do think that would be a mistake and I would probably stop buying ships if it came to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bueckert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

Ya. I can't believe they're moving to blind buys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are probably adding on more stuff (like the blind OP boosters) BECAUSE the game is selling well and they think the market is there to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the sounds of it I must be one of the few who has no strong views on this. Even if it goes to blind sell my opinion is "Whatever".

There are enough ships out already to have a perfectly enjoyable games system without needing to buy anything else.

But then I'm a huge fan of casual play and don't consider OP play to be the be-all and end-all of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear... I am not a "sky is falling" guy.

I am actually ok with the block. I was just asking why they would change strategies if in fact the change was to sell more product.

If it is not to sell product and more to allow Gencon style tourneys, etc....I'm more than ok with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the high ranking for ICv2 Fall 2013 is due to the initial release of the game.

STAW was in Diamond Comics top 25 in August 2013, but hasn't seen any placing since the initial preorders. The Diamond Comics numbers are also based on sales data which differs from the ICv2, which:

Top 5 Non-Collectible Miniature Lines--Fall 2013
From ICv2's 'Internal Correspondence' #84 wrote:
The charts are based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

Sure, and there are *5* more ships coming out that ARE blind-buy.

When you move from 0% blind-buy to 20% blind-buy, I'm not sure how you could call that anything but a 'shift to blind purchase'. Is it an entire switch-over? No, of course not. But it's DEFINITELY a shift...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
davedujour wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:

Sure, and there are *5* more ships coming out that ARE blind-buy.

When you move from 0% blind-buy to 20% blind-buy, I'm not sure how you could call that anything but a 'shift to blind purchase'. Is it an entire switch-over? No, of course not. But it's DEFINITELY a shift...

I prefer to look at it as a 100% blind-buy for the Borg Collective OP. I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Either way, it looks like fun, can't wait to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hesse honnolly
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5 ships coming are associated with the tournament, from my understanding this game will remain the same, tournaments or OPs, may start having blind booster events, which I do like.. it leaves a little surprise, but is NOT MANDATORY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
seenemo wrote:
The 5 ships coming are associated with the tournament, from my understanding this game will remain the same, tournaments or OPs, may start having blind booster events, which I do like.. it leaves a little surprise, but is NOT MANDATORY

Also worth noting that there's a flat collation, which means that it's only random at the individual booster level-- if one were to get a hold of a 10-count case, one would be guaranteed 2 each of all of the ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.