Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all-

I'm picking up Dunwich tomorrow, I'm pumped.

Should I jump right in and play exactly like Dunwich rules lay out and just mix everything in? Or is it better to do the 1-4 normal, 5-6 dunwich? Anything else that the Dunwich veterans would recommend as the norm variant-wise?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might recommend not going completely "all in" your first game, but others may disagree.

On my first game with Dunwich I left out the Dunwich board and associated Dunwich encounters, other world encounters and mythos cards affecting Dunwich. This allowed me to get comfortable with the new GOOs, monsters, investigators and items, and some of the new mechanics (i.e., injury/madness cards, gate bursts). After a game or two, I'd say have at it with the rest of the game. Beware the Dunwich Horror!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In contrast to Neil's perfectly valid approach, I would recommend going straight in with everything. The injury/madness change and the different monster limit mechanic are the only significant mechanical changes. Aside from this the real flavour of the expansion only comes out with all the the parts interacting. I would shuffle everything together also. The deck separation is only for multi-expansion dilution fixes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich is not a "modular" expansion. Sure there are some elements that are useful in any and every AH game (see Arkham Horror: Game Component Setups used by mccrispy) but your games of Dunwich will be much better if you use the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with the all-in approach and would add that I have left all my Dunwich cards in their respective decks (save the Mythos deck which has Dunwich specific gate locations). To this base game/Dunwich combo we add one expansion at a time, our current favorite being Innsmouth (which I recommend as your next expansion by-the-way).

Experienced players will note that this means we have the two other worlds from Dunwich in play at all times (gate tokens and other world encounter cards) so we do use the other worlds portion of the Dunwich board, but just for those two worlds (which are cool worlds).

One reason for this approach is that we found a lot to love in Dunwich's cards, but we preferred the Innsmouth board and it's challenges more than the challenges involved in Dunwich proper or the Dunwich Horror itself.

Anyway, sort of a hybrid answer. I know you'll have a great time however you find it works best for you.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the quick feedback all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.