Subject: Battle for Moscow and Third Edition Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see a new ad for the upcoming Battle for Moscow starter set on the Zvezda Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Zvezda.ModelKits

... and was also surprised to see that it prominently mentions the inclusion of "Third Edition Rules". I'm keen to see those!

I'm not sure what the timeline is for release in North America but I'll be watching closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize that there was another AOT World War II fan. I have a number of fully painted, battle ready sets and would like to see more plays to get better table time........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh; I can understand the feeling! I just found the game a few month ago myself. I posted a review and a long session report here in the Barbarossa forum.

I've got full German and Soviet forces, and I'm about 50% done painting the a moderate British army (they have a less comprehensive force mix available at this point; but Zvezda's 2014 catalog promises this should change later this year.)

I've played a number of times over the past couple of months, and have another game set up for this Sunday that I hope to write up in a battle report next week.

Probably a lot like you, I'm motivated to get some traffic going here and share some knowledge, in the selfish goal of increasing the player base!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Man when is this coming out!?

I have their two other eastern front games (well, the base set, and the Danube expansion) and heaps of expansion pieces... And have yet to play...

But Jon's review and session report have got me excited to try it, so maybe it'll actually hit the table someday soon. ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Man when is this coming out!?

I have their two other eastern front games (well, the base set, and the Danube expansion) and heaps of expansion pieces... And have yet to play...

But Jon's review and session report have got me excited to try it, so maybe it'll actually hit the table someday soon. ish.

Hey, thanks Matt. I wish I knew exactly when to expect this, but so far I can't quite tell. I know that Dragon Models USA posts what they're expecting in the coming months, and they don't show this particular set yet. They do show all of the "winter uniform" models due this month, though, which is a promising sign:

[url]http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodmidh.asp?tlcode=zv...
[/url]

I'm going to post reviews for the Battle for Danube and Blitzkrieg boxes shortly, so folks will know what to expect from those sets as well. My planned Battle for the Danube game last week was cancelled, but it looks like it's on for tomorrow and I plan to post a session report next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned in that last post, I've written a review of Barbarossa's first expansion, Battle for the Danube.

I've just posted the review, and I see it's been approved and is now readable HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Grand news! I just got an email from William (known as ZvezdaUS Customer Service here on bgg, I'd dropped him a note asking about the game) and he tells me the following:

Quote:

Hello Matt!

Thank you so much for your interest and support!

We have nearly finished working on Battle for Moscow, 1941 and will be sending it to the printer soon. We are planning to release the game in the US in May.

The boxed set will include 9 Soviet units, 10 German units, 8 field fortification, smoke and fire tokens, 6 double-sided game boards, 30 terrain tiles, 6 elevation hexes, 10 dice, 2 markers, 2 player aids, rulebook, and scenario book. It will be in a box the same size as Blitzkrieg, 1940.

Keep an eye out for news about some other up-coming releases for Art of Tactic World War II!

Best,

-William
Zvezda US

I see there isn't a page for this game yet, but spread the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Thanks Matt. Great to have a timeframe for North America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And more from William:

Quote:

Hello again!

On the Soviet side, the game includes 1 HQ, 1 82mm mortar, 1 MG, 1 regular infantry, 1 skier infantry, 2 militia, 1 AA gun, and 1 T-35 heavy tank.

The Germans have 1 HQ, 1 81mm mortar, 1 MG, 3 infantry, 1 motorcycle team, 1 Panzer III, 1 Panzer IV, and 1 StuG III tank destroyer.

Hope that helps!

Best,

-William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely looks interesting. A few thoughts on the new units:

Soviet ski infantry: should be fun! I'd love to see a game with lots of infantry manoeuver, and these guys offer interesting possibilities. We'll have to see what their abilities are.

Soviet Milita: interesting... a counterpart to the German's Romanian allies, I guess. Weak, but low point cost. I can imagine all kinds of fun scenarios with mobs of marginal but entrenched militia troops trying to withstand an assault by German regulars...

T-35 heavy tank: it will be interesting to see how this is portrayed in the game... maybe kind of like the amoured boats or train in the Danube expansion, but roaming freely (if slowly)?

All of the German stuff is already available and looks familiar (though the infantry are now in winter clothing). The most interesting addition is the StuG III. It can't move and fire in the same turn, and lacking a turret it has a built-in "kill zone" limiting its fire arc... but it has good armour and decent firepower. Playing with a tank that can't move and fire in the same turn adds a new wrinkle, since you can't just charge around with guns blazing. You have to manage this particular resource a little more carefully.

Looking forward to this, and of course the third-edition rules.

May, huh? *marks calendar*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It looks like the Soviets now have 2 or 3 heavy tanks, but I can't seem to find any German heavies. Is this correct? Or did I miss it? Just wondering what to field against this new T-35 (and the KV-1 I already have!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's right. The Soviets have the KV-1 amd KV-2, and now the T-35.

Heaviest things the Germans have are the medium PzIV and StugIII, though at least you get one of each in Moscow.

If the Art of Tactic WWII timeline reaches 1942 and we see the Tiger I, that'll change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried to play this game a couple of times, but found it very confusing. So many different moves, so many different types of terrain, it seems quite complex. I see there are plenty of videos in Russian to watch, but any chance you guys can put up a good English version which covers a complete game with movement, firing and close combat covered?

Once I get a grip of it I am sure I will like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dutchy124 wrote:
I have tried to play this game a couple of times, but found it very confusing. So many different moves, so many different types of terrain, it seems quite complex. I see there are plenty of videos in Russian to watch, but any chance you guys can put up a good English version which covers a complete game with movement, firing and close combat covered?

Once I get a grip of it I am sure I will like the game.

Not a video, but I tried to do just that in my battle report:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1120212/strongpoint-a-battle...

I'm working on another report (in fact, pair of related reports) now, and plan to post more reports through this year.

I know the hurdle can seem high at first, but it's really not that bad once you get into it. All the cards have their available orders spelled out on the back so each unit's options are somewhat limited. Beyond that, it's just planning, anticipation, and reaction as you'd see with other games.

If you have any specific question, by all means ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jon,

I have finished reading both battle reports, great write up and very helpful.

I have also asked my games shop to see if he can pre order Moscow.

My gaming buddy dropped off about 20 T-34 tanks to go with my collection, so we are both determined to play this game.

I know we don't need that many tanks for this game, but as an avid gamer they will come in for a miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Clive:

Thanks, glad you found them helpful. I think Barbarossa is a game that benefits enormously from watching over someone's shoulder as they play through the rules, and I hoped to come close to that with my battle reports.

I have others planned soon -- just need to clear some space in my calender so I get get them written up.

I agree, 20 is probably more T34s than you'll be needing... (!) But hey, they're great models and you could always try painting them in different camouflage schemes 'n stuff. Plus, Battle for Moscow is set in winter, so you can devote a portion of the T-34s to winter paint schemes. I think I'll be doing some of that myself.

At $5 a unit, I find it's not a big deal to pick up a few extra units just for fun -- painting them differently, just checking off boxes to "collect 'em all!", etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEW LOOT!

Battle for Moscow is still a month or two away (I see an expected June arrival date for some stores in North America), but some of the stand-alone kits just arrived in my local hobby store today.

Fitting with the Moscow setting, these are familiar units now in winter clothing. There are also some new kits coming, one of which is the multi-turretted T-35.

While I was there, I also picked up some of the new machine-gun, AT-missile, and AA-missile infantry troops for the modern game Hot War: Battle for Oil, which also just arrived today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looking forward to your thoughts on Hot War, Jon. I wonder how different it is from Barbarossa, and if the changes seem to you to improve the game.

I'm also a bit envious, those kits are good fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt. I've read the Hot War rules and shuffled through the components, but haven't put anything together or played it yet. I've got the main box, a few extra basic infantry, plus what you see here. I've lined up some games in the coming weeks and I expect I'll post something in early June.

Re. the kits: yessssssss.. I'm looking forward to getting this stuff assembled and painted. Lots of fun! And that T-35 is just nuts. And HUGE. It comes in one of the bigger boxes, like the AA guns, and is priced to match -- $12 here, compared to $5 for a simple infantry box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's the one bummer about this line of games... How do you obey the stacking limits with such massive pieces? What're we gonna do when the 15mm King Tiger takes up four hexes?

I've been sorely tempted to take on a project to "remake" the game in 1/285th scale, or (more realistically) remake the infantry in 15mm scale. But alas, too many geeky game projects, and this one always shakes out last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf Van Ishem
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a video that has been uploaded to this site that explains the basics of the game. I should know I am in it!! Check it out under CharlesCab second page.

Rolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.