Gerardo Paz
msg tools
1. A monster may leave Tokyo if it receives damage from another monster. If you prevented that damage (ie Robot Costume, Decoy Bunny, Camouflage) Can you still leave? The player did receive damage, it's just they did not lose life.

2. We ran into an issue with Alienoid using Anger Batteries while holding the Robot costume. Alienoid received 4 damage from Cyber bunny (who rolled three claws) and was holding 2 energy in reserve. His intention was to play anger batteries to get 4 bonus energy then use his extra energy to prevent all 4 damage. After much discussion we ruled that only his initial 2 energy could be spent to nulify damage but not the bonus 4. Did we do this right?

3. Another issue happened when The King rolled 2 claws and 3 hearts to get Alpha Male. King wanted to play the evolution right away for the bonus point but other players said that was not possible as he received the evolution after the dice roll. King argued that an evolution card is active as soon as it's played and all plays are simultaneous. Who wins?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
The Rulebook states if you are attacked while in Tokyo, you may yield.

I think your friend found an awesome combo. Our table would allow it. Anger Batteries is a temporary card so that's only going to happen once....if AB had to be played before any attacks (as an anticipatory type card) It would really nerf it. We promote smart tactics and strategy like that.

We've house ruled, like Special Cards, that Evolutions are the final phase of a turn, and can't be used on the same turn you've obtained them. It just makes things less messy. You can use them if applicable once your turn is over (I.E Alienoid and AB in the last example)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
GForce4sa wrote:
1. A monster may leave Tokyo if it receives damage from another monster. If you prevented that damage (ie Robot Costume, Decoy Bunny, Camouflage) Can you still leave? The player did receive damage, it's just they did not lose life.

It's based on being attacked, not taking damage. Otherwise cards like Jets would create a paradox-loop. Attacking is an action while damage is an effect, and the rulebooks makes a distinction between the two. Not all attacks do damage, and not all damage comes from attacks.

GForce4sa wrote:
2. We ran into an issue with Alienoid using Anger Batteries while holding the Robot costume. Alienoid received 4 damage from Cyber bunny (who rolled three claws) and was holding 2 energy in reserve. His intention was to play anger batteries to get 4 bonus energy then use his extra energy to prevent all 4 damage. After much discussion we ruled that only his initial 2 energy could be spent to nulify damage but not the bonus 4. Did we do this right?
Robot gives you two choices, and you should decide with your table before start of play.
A)Loss of E from Robot still counts as "taking damage" for Card effects.
B)Loss of E from Robot does not count as "taking damage," because no life is lost.

If A, the player is right, and he can power Anger Batteries before losing energy. However, if you play this route, there are a lot of effects that trigger on "damage," and very few of them are beneficial. For example, if the attacker had Shrink Ray or Poison Spit, the Robot would take a Shrink or Poison counter even if they nullified the life-loss with E.
If B, the table is right. He can use the initial 2E to nullify damage, and if he chooses to expend Anger Battery afterwards, he'd only get 2 bonus energy because it works off of what got through to his Life. As above, though, if he had managed to nullify all the damage with E, he wouldn't have to take a Poison Counter/lose a Star/etc from various card effects.

GForce4sa wrote:
3. Another issue happened when The King rolled 2 claws and 3 hearts to get Alpha Male. King wanted to play the evolution right away for the bonus point but other players said that was not possible as he received the evolution after the dice roll. King argued that an evolution card is active as soon as it's played and all plays are simultaneous. Who wins?
The player is incorrect about all plays being simultaneous.

The rulebook provides these four phases of a turn:
1: Rolling and Rerolling
2: Resolving Dice
3: Purchase Cards
4: End of Turn.

Even though they cost nothing and the chance to acquire them is determined in phase 2, I would say that Evolutions cards are still cards no matter what: They are acquired during the Purchasing Phase. New Evolutions can be played immediately during this phase, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.