Subject: Which Plot Deck would you choose? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow I'm starting a new campaign as the Overlord, from the Labyrinth of Ruin. I have played six or so games as the OL, all from the Shadow Rune campaign, and lost every time. I'm working on upping my Overlord Skills, but I could use some advice.

What Plot Deck would you choose? Would you go with the Basic II deck with that plot deck?

I own the first twelve plot decks but won't consider the four from Labyrinth of Ruin for obvious reasons.

I know I get to choose the plot deck after the heroes are chosen, but I want to be ready to quickly make that decision. I'd like to finish hero selection, plot deck selection and play the first quest all in the same night, tomorrow.

What I know:
4 heroes
Jayne Fairwood - Wildlander - My son likes the figure and wants a bow
Apothecary - Hero chosen from the four available through the current sets
Warrior class and hero chosen from the four available so far
Mage class and hero chosen from the four available so far

So I need to choose between:
Splig - Goblin Uprising
Alric - The Fallen Elite
Belthir - Hybrid Loyalty
Bol'goreth - Raging Infection
Eliza - Endless Thirst
Merick - Cursed by Power
Valyndra - Dragon's Greed
Zachareth - Seeds of Betrayal

What do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
I own the first twelve plot decks but won't consider the four from Labyrinth of Ruin for obvious reasons.

Raythen's is by far my favourite, but that might just be because of my Roguish nature.

I'm pretty sure you can use his Plot-deck, but summoning him in a quest here he appears (either as lieutenant or ally) just isn't allowed. Also, if he's an ally, summoning him would be rather out of place.

If you insist on not using him, though, I like Alric, though Bol'Goreth might be nice if the heroes have an overall low Strength ("you get a poison, you get a poison, everybody gets a poison!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be more helpful to ask the question after you know the exact hero party makeup. Since it looks like they're going for a balanced party, there might not be any obvious holes, but if they are lacking in one area in particular (an attribute, area of effect, ranged, damage, healing), then that's what you typically want to exploit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
dwjmeijer wrote:
If you insist on not using him, though, I like Alric, though Bol'Goreth might be nice if the heroes have an overall low Strength ("you get a poison, you get a poison, everybody gets a poison!")

With so many other options I don't want to use Raythen's Skillduggery plot deck. Especially since I know the group won't have a treasure hunter or thief. I was predisposed to choose Bol'Goreth's Raging Infection, but the Apothecary would quickly buy Herbal Lore, which makes it less effective. I'll look at Aleric's deck. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
It may be more helpful to ask the question after you know the exact hero party makeup. Since it looks like they're going for a balanced party, there might not be any obvious holes, but if they are lacking in one area in particular (an attribute, area of effect, ranged, damage, healing), then that's what you typically want to exploit.

Sure, but it isn't going to happen. Plot deck choice will happen immediately after hero choice. I won't be able to come back to ask the question in the forum. Had planned to have more time but a fortuitous change in my schedule has accelerated that. It's on tomorrow. Hero Selection, plot deck selection, first quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Mantziaris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How mean do you want to be to your beloved heroes?

Zachareth's deck is extremely efficient. You can slim your OL deck down to 13 cards (higher chance of drawing your best cards each turn), you can choose which cards are going to be your starting hand, you can swap cards. You can even make them draw 2 items less during the Shopping phase (ANNOYING). Generally this deck will help you manipulate your OL cards deck. It is a very powerfull Lieutenant deck but can discourage your heroes, if you are already winning by a landslide.

Belthir's deck is also pretty powerfull. It mostly enhances OL cards that you play on monsters. For example there is a card that can add 1 dmg to the attack when you play Frenzy or give the monsters 1 MP when you play Dash or add 1 surge when you play Critical Blow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
gondolin1989 wrote:
How mean do you want to be to your beloved heroes?

This is my question as well.

If you want to win at any cost, I'd say go with a Seeds of Betrayal/Infector combination. I chose this for my last campaign and found it very effective. You can read about it here: Seeds of Betrayal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Spielguy wrote:
I was predisposed to choose Bol'Goreth's Raging Infection, but the Apothecary would quickly buy Herbal Lore, which makes it less effective. I'll look at Aleric's deck. Thanks!

Pair it with the Infector deck and pick up the Overlord card that lets you convert poison and disease to infection tokens. You might get unlucky if the card is at the bottom of the deck, but Infector with the Bol'Goreth plot deck is a pretty nasty combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elder Basilisk
msg tools
Here's my thoughts:

Bol'goreth is good if you want to play the Infector overlord class and if the heroes end up without many characters good at strength and willpower. If you want another overlord class, pick another lieutenant.

Valyndra is good if you like using large/huge monsters. If you anticipate making lots of use of medium and small monsters like Volucryx Reavers, Barghests, and Dragon Hybrids, pick another lieutenant. Fortunately, she goes with any overlord basic deck or class.

Belthir is good if you like Basic I and plan to use a lot of small or medium monsters and a trap heavy overlord class like Saboteur. He seems powerful but if you don't like that style, you need to look elsewhere.

I'd look through the quest guide and see if most of them have the option to take wilderness monsters. If so, I'd go probably go with Queen Ariad personally (even though you can't use her agent in the campaign). Her deck seems like it offers the most efficient use of threat that I've seen.

Based on my analysis, I think Raythen is best as a treasure hunter counter rather than a general purpose deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone so far. I think I'm liking the Belthir option. I'm not very good with the OL cards and this focus on the cards really should help me develop and understand the correct times to use the cards. Look forward to any more insight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.