Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Garriel
United States
Sicklerville
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there a general rule for dealing with situations where a card is played where its effects are not possible?

For example, Wodiac Chief is in play and says, "+2ATK for each spell you have played this turn." Teleport says "Move one of your Creatures to one of your empty Lanes." Assuming all my Lanes are occupied, could I play Teleport, just for the sake of the +2ATK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes.
As long as the card doesn't say "target ____" you can fail.
If the card read: "Move one of your Creatures to target empty Lane."... then you would not be able to play it with all 4 Lanes full.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Garriel
United States
Sicklerville
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, thanks Matt. He won that game anyway, but I think it was due to us misplaying the uni-knight's -10ATK as a sticky effect.

Side note: I bought the app hoping I could use it to learn the mechanics of the card game and familiarize myself with specific cards. It didn't take long to figure out what a mistake that was!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Garriel
United States
Sicklerville
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And thinking of the economics of it, I paid $13 for the JvF set to an online game store; Your company probably made less money on that than the app developer's company made on the $4 app. That's criminal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JerseyFrank wrote:
Ok, thanks Matt. He won that game anyway, but I think it was due to us misplaying the uni-knight's -10ATK as a sticky effect.

Yes, all effects are "til end of turn" unless it's something that can be tracked mechanically over turns, like +1 DEF.

The new printing of the Collector's Packs will say "until end of turn" on that and the Schoolhouse.

I meant to put a section in the rulebook about durations, but I forgot about it.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
Crazy question -

Situation: Opponent has the Travelin' Farmer in play. I am going to kill him during the battle stage and I want to minimize the damage done. I have the Snake Eye Ring in my hand and some various Useless Swamp Creatures in my discard pile. Can I play the Snake Eye Ring and skip resurrecting a creature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you can do that.
If it said "Put a random Creature from your discard pile into target empty Lane" you couldn't play it without an empty Lane.

Anytime a card does not say "target" you can play it and fail to resolve it if you cannot. For instance, if you played a Spell that said "Draw 3 cards" you couldn't fail to do that unless you had fewer than 3 cards in your deck. If you only had 1 card in your deck you would draw it and fail to draw the other 2.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Garriel
United States
Sicklerville
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
For instance, if you played a Spell that said "Draw 3 cards" you could fail to do that unless you had fewer than 3 cards in your deck.
I think you mean that you could fail to do that if and only if you had fewer than 3 cards in your deck. The effects aren't optional. If a card is played and the action is possible, it must be taken. If the action is not possible, the card can only be played if the the "target" thing is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JerseyFrank wrote:
I think you mean that you could fail to do that if and only if you had fewer than 3 cards in your deck. The effects aren't optional. If a card is played and the action is possible, it must be taken. If the action is not possible, the card can only be played if the the "target" thing is possible.

Yes, I accidentally left off the " n't "
I added an example as well. Nice catch!

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.