Jean-Luc Picard, CPT, STFL, CO, NCC-1701D/E wrote:
How can we be prepared for that which we do not know? But I do know that we are ready to encounter it.
Riffing on WizKids Tournament Brick Blind Box idea, what if we took it a step further for a tournament?
I’ve written a few posts about the games accessibility to new players and how there seems to be excessive attrition (even among those who have invested a lot of time and money into the system).
Maybe this whole Blind Buy thing can help stop the some of the bleeding by reducing the metagaming.
But what if a tournament took it even further?
Here are some proposed rules for a tournament that will hopefully have players thinking on their feet a bit more instead of letting their lists play for them:
1) Purchase (1) ship from Collective Tournament Brick
2) Choose 12 different ship upgrades from personal collection
3) Choose 6 ships (all different ship classes) from personal collection
4) Choose 6 captains from personal collection
5) Randomly cull out 1/2 of upgrades, ships and captains
6) Build a 100 squadron point fleet using everything from Tournament Brick plus anything from your culled selections.
A variation on this can require certain ship and upgrades to be in the culled pool – maybe even restricting it to the starter pack.