Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jean-Luc Picard, CPT, STFL, CO, NCC-1701D/E wrote:
How can we be prepared for that which we do not know? But I do know that we are ready to encounter it.

Riffing on WizKids Tournament Brick Blind Box idea, what if we took it a step further for a tournament?

I’ve written a few posts about the games accessibility to new players and how there seems to be excessive attrition (even among those who have invested a lot of time and money into the system).

Maybe this whole Blind Buy thing can help stop the some of the bleeding by reducing the metagaming.

But what if a tournament took it even further?

Here are some proposed rules for a tournament that will hopefully have players thinking on their feet a bit more instead of letting their lists play for them:

Set up
1) Purchase (1) ship from Collective Tournament Brick
2) Choose 12 different ship upgrades from personal collection
3) Choose 6 ships (all different ship classes) from personal collection
4) Choose 6 captains from personal collection
5) Randomly cull out 1/2 of upgrades, ships and captains
6) Build a 100 squadron point fleet using everything from Tournament Brick plus anything from your culled selections.

A variation on this can require certain ship and upgrades to be in the culled pool – maybe even restricting it to the starter pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it needs to be that complicated.

HeroClix had a style of tournament called "Floor" (people who hated it called it Florced). In this style of tournament, X number of your points had to be from the current set.

With this blind buy system, I think you will be forced to have say 30-60 points of your force come from these blind buys, and also possibly include at least the hull of the ship in that blind buy. This forces the player to incorporate some of the elements of the booster.

It's ideally a best of both worlds. It gives some random element to the game, in which you don't know what assets you have available to use. It also allows you to bring something along to cover some aspect of the metagame. Perhaps you build a blasting ship hoping to pull a support ship. Perhaps you build a buffing ship hoping to pull a blasting ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Yeah, I'm picturing that the way it'll work is more this:

1) Build a 60SP fleet before arriving and fleet out fleet build sheet
2) Draw random ship from Brick
3) Build 40 point vessel from random draw
4) Add new ship to your original 60SP fleet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.