Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have many abstract games and I'be been looking to get one, think I have it narrowed down to these three: Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends, Theseus: The Dark Orbit, and Neuroshima Hex!. I'm leaning towards Theseus, we already own Nexus Ops so I feel Neuroshima might be similar. Can anyone recommend one of these ifer another? Do you have a better recommendation, what a about something like Blue Moon City?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Abstract game
Uh, those are "real abstract games"??? They seem pretty thematic to me. Try anything in the GIPF Project family (sort items by rank) for "real abstract", or just Go. These are all 2p games, of course, like the other games you mentioned. Except Blue Moon City, which is not 2p, and also not abstract (Blue Moon is 2p, and even less abstract). But I like that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Abstract game
curtc wrote:
Uh, those are "real abstract games"??? They seem pretty thematic to me. Try anything in the GIPF Project family (sort items by rank) for "real abstract", or just Go. These are all 2p games, of course, like the other games you mentioned. Except Blue Moon City, which is not 2p, and also not abstract (Blue Moon is 2p, and even less abstract). But I like that game.

Ok I guess I need a thematic abstract game. Corrected the o.p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
So what do you mean by "abstract" game if it a) can be [highly] thematic, and b) [apparently] can include heavy doses of luck and hidden information?

Theseus doesn't even look remotely like an abstract to me [by any definition]. Neuroshima is close-ish. As is Tash Kalar from what I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a mostly pure abstract game with heavy theme, Dungeon Twister is generally highly recommended, although really it's too fiddly / bits-y / complex to be an abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
So what do you mean by "abstract" game if it a) can be [highly] thematic, and b) [apparently] can include heavy doses of luck and hidden information?

Theseus doesn't even look remotely like an abstract to me [by any definition]. Neuroshima is close-ish. As is Tash Kalar from what I've seen.

I don't know to be honest. Most of the games we have are highly thematic and to me Theseus and Tash seemed abstract. We need to game to have some sort of theme we can enjoy but I was trying to branch out. Not sure many things will strike a chord but figure I'd ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your definition of Abstract doesn't appear to match the communities in any way whatsoever.

We could probably be more helpful you explained what it means to you, and what you are looking for (because none of these games would come within miles of a list of abstracts as usually defined).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison

low luck, high strategy, fantasy themed 2 player game.

a quote from a good review here on BGG

Quote:
Victory in Dungeon Twister hinges on being able to plan your moves 2 or 3 turns in advance, knowing which pieces to use and when, playing to the strengths of the adventurers, memorizing what cards your opponent has used and discarded (you are never allowed to see your opponents discard pile so if you can remember they have used their 4 and 6 combat cards earlier in the game you can plan future fights accordingly), even elements of bluffing can play into the game such as using the bow to shoot an enemy and simply playing the +0 combat card and watching your opponent blow a +4 combat card “Trying to stop the adventurer from being wounded”, even knowing that the Naga with his movement of 6 and ability to go through arrow slits makes him an excellent gopher “Go for the magic wand!” and advanced scout to reveal sections of the game board. Even the initial set up of the tokens involves its own level of strategy, do you go all out for blood and place your Colossus deep into your opponent’s side of the board or do you keep him back on your side to pummel any interlopers racing for your end of the board?

There are so many considerations when playing this game and that is the reason why I will play Dungeon Twister any time even if I have to suffer through an AP player, it’s worth it!

Overall Final Game Verdict: 9.25/10 I grew up playing Chess starting at the age of 4 and Dungeon Twister has taken the game of Chess and injected it with steroids. I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone looking for a deep strategy game that doesn’t have a theme “painted on”.

edit: beaten while i was looking for that quote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Your definition of Abstract doesn't appear to match the communities in any way whatsoever.

We could probably be more helpful you explained what it means to you, and what you are looking for (because none of these games would come within miles of a list of abstracts as usually defined).

Well all the reviews I've seen of Tash-Kalar and Theseus said they are "abstract". If they are not then what are they? I'm horrible at classifying things, I just know what we like and they are usually ameritrash games. We have a few euros but highly thematic like Yedo, Alien Frontiers and Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideas [I've never played most of them, but they're ideas]:

Karnag: As far as I know, no luck, and an abstract-ish movement phase

Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas: I don't recall if there is luck; simultaneous planning a la RoboRally, I think.

Kingdoms or Beowulf: The Movie Board Game [same game, basically]: Not luck-free, but Knizia and math and... well, that's it, right? [Have played; good game]

O Vale dos Monstros: Will be hard to find; As far as I know, luck-free. Thinky[?] positional area-control game of monsters scaring kids in tents in the woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

Well all the reviews I've seen of Tash-Kalar and Theseus said they are "abstract". If they are not then what are they? I'm horrible at classifying things, I just know what we like and they are usually ameritrash games. We have a few euros but highly thematic like Yedo, Alien Frontiers and Eclipse.

Why do you want an "abstract" game? What do you think it is you want out of such a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

Why do you want an "abstract" game? What do you think it is you want out of such a game?

It's not so much as wanting one per say but the ones I mentioned are intriguing and seem "abstract" to me and I'd like to narrow it down. I guess I feel a lot of the games we own feel similar with different themes. So can anyone comment on the ones mentioned in the o.p.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tash Kalar is a great game. It is very "thinky" in a visiospatial way.

A friend remarked after playing, "The Tetris lobe of my brain hurts." It's better than Neuroshima Hex which feels too samey to me after a couple dozen plays. Both involve a draw from a random deck, but in Tash Kalar I can see all the cogs coming together and control the chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Tash Kalar is a great game. It is very "thinky" in a visiospatial way.

A friend remarked after playing, "The Tetris lobe of my brain hurts." It's better than Neuroshima Hex which feels too samey to me after a couple dozen plays. Both involve a draw from a random deck, but in Tash Kalar I can see all the cogs coming together and control the chaos.

Good to hear. I downloaded Neuroshima Hex on my iPad buy it doesn't make much sense. I love Vlaad's designs so naturally I'm drawn to Tash. Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Vlaada's games too. and I really enjoy both Nexus Ops and Neuroshima Hex, which are not similar AT ALL.

LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Good to hear. I downloaded Neuroshima Hex on my iPad buy it doesn't make much sense.
yeah, because I like Neuroshima Hex that much I downloaded the game on ipad as well, and even though I know the game I just find the app too confusing to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I define abstract as the opposite of thematic. A game either has much theme (than it´s thematic) or it hasn´t (than it´s abstract). (or it´s somewhere in between)

How many luck/strategy/... is involved doesn´t matter.

E.g. euro games are widely considered (by me as well) to be less thematic than Ameritrash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.