Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I was thinking of getting this as my first Dixit since it's supposed to play up to 12 players, but now I see that they are reprinting it as an expansion only. The game can still be found around the internet, but I was wondering, would I be better off buying the standalone Odyssey or the other 6 player standalone games and combining components to make it up to 12 players? I just want one or two for the moment and might buy expansions later on.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing Dixit with more than six then you are going to have to come up with alternate pieces for voting and scoring. For scoring you could use the pawns or rabbits from any expansion and then other small tokens for the extra players. For voting you could go with paper and pens with a piece of paper labeled 7-(2*Number of players+1). Remember everyone gets to play two cards and pick two cards they think it is. If you do this then you can get away with Dixit or Dixit Journey and any one other expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Adam. What if I get the original Dixit and say Dixit Journey? I should have enough for more players for voting and scoring, no? Or is it that they're somehow different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 12 players, you need 12 voting tokens/numbers/boards/... with numbers from 1 to 12. That is what is unique from Dixit Odissey. (Also 12 slots for 12 cards, but this is secondary if you had the voting system for 12).
Two voting mechanics (Dixit+Dixit Journey) is not the same, becasue they are numbered from 1 to 6 each. You need from 1 to 12.

You can play with 12 players with any base game and/or expansions and you can use any oficial rules or even variant rules, but you will have to make your own voting system.
Surely it is not so dificult to find a home-made voting mechanic anyway. Just to answer your question, this is not "included" in the game besides in Odissey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Odyssey included little peg boards with twelve slots each and twenty-four pegs. These were used instead of six numbered tiles. When playing with over six a player may guess on two cards instead of just one. A player who chooses to vote only once instead of twice gets plus one point if he guesses correctly. A maximum of three bonus points can be earned by other players guessing incorrectly on your card when you're not the storyteller.

I like the peg boards and the scoring track from Odyssey, and use it to the exclusion of the other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I think I got it. I know I could just as easily make the voting and scoring components at home, but was just wondering if simply buying two of the standalone games (which I would probably buy anyways in the long run)was enough. Seems like a better first buy option for me is the 12 player Odyssey then. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.