Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I think this game needs for solo play is a score. Sure you want to win it all, but victory (and defeat) are relative, and as solo players, beating one's own high score can be very satisfying (see Mage Knight).

I've only yet played DM a handful of times, here are some loose thoughts.

* Originally wanted to give credit for tech advance, exploration, etc, but really those are just means to the end.

* So, I think points should be scored for colonies left at end of game. This might be binary or it might account for strength of colony / homeworld.

* Points should also be scored for difficulty level = DM level defeated. This has to somehow account for earlier arrival of DMs, as that makes a huge difference.

* It would be cool if the same scoring system scaled to AE and amoeba scenarios. One factor there is how early you win - early victory should be rewarded.

* It should be easy to remember, and easy to explain.

For DM, my current thinking is

1. score one point for each colonized planet. This indirectly rewards deep space exploration, since you might get additional colonies that way. If you managed to keep all your colored colonies alive, you'd get a 9 (or 10 with terraforming).

2. score one point for each DM defeated x the level of difficulty. Easy means you could score 3 points. Good luck means 15 points. Basing it on difficulty level incorporates both level of DM and their arrival round.

"Perfect" scoring range is therefore 12 to 24 (and possibly a little higher if you get some deep space or alien colonies or terraformed your own barren planet).

I have no idea how this scales to the other types of solo scenarios, as i haven't gotten to them. Of course, I'd like to have the scoring system in place while playing them

For AE, perhaps 3x the difficulty level = 3 to 18 points possible instead of the DM level points.

Would love to hear any thoughts, particularly if you have found any scoring methods that work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea a lot.

Solo players please weigh in - a comprehensive scoring system for all the solo scenarios would be a good add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to save Jim a bit of work: I don't think it's necessary in Space Empires because you already have so many levels of difficulty and so many ways of customizing the scenarios already. Mage Knight needs it, because the game is basically the same thing over and over (which is why I played it only 3 times and stopped.)

You win, you try the next higher level of difficulty. Far more interesting than just replaying the same situation again.

Hint: Move on to the Alien Empire game after a few Doomsday runs. Far more immersive and epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like about a scoring system:
* when you win, you still might not have gotten a perfect score. Something to work on.
* when you lose, you still might have done quite well. Something to console you.
* makes it easy to compare your results to others - solo tournament style. I'm thinking about starting one of these in the Solitaire Games geeklist.

I have soloed MK about 15 times now. It also has scaling cities, which is very much like scaling the DMs. The crazy thing about MK is that you will score maybe 60 or 80 the first time. Eventually you can break a hundred, and then later if you're very persistent 200, and then maybe if you are very lucky and you have an epic play, maybe 300. That range of scoring is pretty amazing; you really feel yourself getting better, and your scores reflect it.

I don't know if the DM scenario has that depth, so yeah, from that point of view, scoring may not add a lot.

I definitely need to try the AE variant. It seems like this is where SE4X might shine as a solo - but I rarely read any solo sessions that are not DM, so I wonder how much the AE solo gets played. I will certainly admit that the alien turn decision tree seems daunting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
I definitely need to try the AE variant. It seems like this is where SE4X might shine as a solo - but I rarely read any solo sessions that are not DM, so I wonder how much the AE solo gets played. I will certainly admit that the alien turn decision tree seems daunting to me.

I play the Alien Empires scenario:

Space Empires: 4x — The Alien Empire Scenario

Carrier Blitzing the Alien Empires in Space Empires: 4X

I've done it mostly to get the hand of the advanced rules without wasting "real" players' time, but I still manage to get myself into fixes where I'm crazily fretting about a series of die rolls....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffr0 wrote:

Nice write-ups. Gives a good sense of how the game plays solo.

It seems your enjoyment of it as a solo is tempered a bit - that is to say, it's good, but didn't sound like something you'll go to as a solo game a lot. Not even bothering to finish the second game indicates a definite flaw. Not an uncommon flaw (game is over before it's over), but one that is a bit more problematic in a solo game.

Still, as you say, most of the game is filled with tension and build-up, and I'm definitely going to give this a go (as soon as work stops being so mean).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:

Nice write-ups. Gives a good sense of how the game plays solo.

It seems your enjoyment of it as a solo is tempered a bit - that is to say, it's good, but didn't sound like something you'll go to as a solo game a lot. Not even bothering to finish the second game indicates a definite flaw. Not an uncommon flaw (game is over before it's over), but one that is a bit more problematic in a solo game.

Still, as you say, most of the game is filled with tension and build-up, and I'm definitely going to give this a go (as soon as work stops being so mean).

Off the cuff-- the third alien is too much extra bookkeeping for what it adds. You can see that he was dropped from the expansion, and think I can see why.

Another thing... at some point you should be able to call the game due to an econ victory. If your income is triple the aliens, then it's more than over.

Edit: Just realized that the third alien was dropped because the co-op scenario had two human players. :facepalm:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.