Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: When using Exchange, can you stop right after removing the card to be exchanged? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Hanoian
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I came up with a situation that I can't find an answer to in any of the forum posts or rules I checked (but I might have missed it). If it has been answered, sorry.

When using an Exchange ability, can I stop once I move the card to the discard pile, but before I replace the card, if that state allows me to beat the hazard?

This situation came up in a recent game. I was one point short of defeating a hazard card, but one of my face-up cards was a -1 card. I knew from a previous sort 3 that the next card was a +4 card and I wanted to save it for another hazard, if possible. I had an unused exchange card face up and if I exchanged the -1 card out I'd beat the carrent hazard. I was also very low on lives.

So, can I use the Exchange to remove a bad card and declare a win immediately after the bad card is removed, since I would have enough points at that moment? Or do I need to complete the exchange fully and "waste" the +4 (or, if I didn't know what the next card was, waste some other potentially good card or chance getting another aging card or other "negative" card, giving me too few points to beat the hazard once again)?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head I'd say no.
The Destroy action is more what you are descibing whereas Exchange implies replacing one card with another.
The risk is that you might Exchange the -1 with a worse Aging card or something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the fact that the rules explicitly state that you have to finish one special ability before starting another I'd say you also have to finish an ability before ending the fight.
I can't actually find any specific rules for this situation though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Based on the fact that the rules explicitly state that you have to finish one special ability before starting another I'd say you also have to finish an ability before ending the fight.

The rule covers the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hanoian
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

The rule covers the question.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but which rule are you referring to and which question are you saying it answers?

Just for clarification, I think that the entire Exchange action needs to be completed, since that is how the Exchange action is described in the rules (but a second Exchange doesn't need to be performed if it was a 2x Exchange). Stopping in the middle adds some flexibility, which is a good thing, if it is allowed.

(Edit: added last paragraph)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
"You place 1 of the other drawn face-up fighting cards on the Robinson discard pile (you can choose one card you already used for the special ability) and draw a new card as replacement." seems pretty unambiguous to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules specify that you can use special ability.
Nothing about using only half of it, so you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card states that you can exchange a card, if you only take one away and don't replace it, you're not performing an exchange and therefore not performing the action allowed.

IF you use the cards ability, you must replace the card you removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.