Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without trying to get to personal I thought we'd look at our gaming budget.

Poll
1. Do you have a gaming budget?
Yes
No
Sort Of
2. How do you limit yourself? I will ask in $US, but feel free to adjust for your local currency.
I have to save for each game I buy.
I have about 20 bucks a month.
I allow for 50 a month.
$100 or less per month.
I spend what ever I want.
It varies so much I can't put a number on it.
3. How often do you go over budget?
Never
Rarely
Sometimes
Often
All the time
4. What do you include in your budget?
Games
Conventions
Gaming supplies
Travel
Entry fees
other
      372 answers
Poll created by Syvanis

5 - Discuss how your budget effects you in anyway that I haven't covered above.

Click Here - Subscribe NEVER MISS A POLL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
No formal budget. Space is the most important consideration nowadays.

Even when I was poor though, I didn't budget out what I'd spend on games,
I was just more inhibited from buying something based on costs. I'm naturally
pretty cheap though, and most games I can pass on with the idea that the
marginal gain is just too low to bother actually buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my wife and I were paying off school loans, we would award ourselves $200 every time we paid off $6000 in loans.

Now that we're out of debt, we actually buy less games. We purchase games every now and then, when we see them at a game store in town or online at a good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Retired. Able to get the games/accessories I want. Want only games that will actually get played either by our friends or family (wide age range) either at my place or theirs. Grandkids are fun to select for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year for the first time, I tracked all my expenses (games, cons, tournaments). I will try to spend less this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Until this year, I just bought whatever I wanted with nary a second thought. This year, I'm not doing that anymore, and the primary reasons are financial (I switched to a job that doesn't pay as well as the old one), but I'm not setting a specific budget to go by. Instead, since I've accumulated a lot of unplayed games and expansions in my collection, I buy one new game or expansion per every ten things off the unplayed stuff list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Krahn
Canada
Taber
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board gaming has replaced video games (for the most part) in my hobbies so the lack of spending in the latter has been picked up by the former.

I don't have a budget to speak of, but lately I've been spending anywhere from $50-$200 a month trying to build a bit of a library from what used to only contain Settlers and Carcassonne. Once I've rounded my collection out a bit I imagine I'll cut back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have a gaming budget. I register for the BGGCON and figure out a way to pay for it. I'll save for the hotel bill at the CON, and for games. Usually I receive games as gifts, and I'll use gifts of money to buy games.

According to an extremely close relative (by marriage) I went a little overboard with game purchases at last year's BGGCON. I bought several in the Virtual Flea Market, a couple in the flea market and a few at the exhibition booths. These did not include games I bought to give as gifts. Since spending some Christmas money on Zong Shi, I've held back on game purchases.

It's hard restraining myself from buying every game I like, but if I didn't, I'd loose my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I spend more than I should on games, my wife knows that there are "worse" hobbies I could be pumping thousands of dollars into. Because of this she rarely limits what I buy. Sometimes we do a little clear out, or she'll ask me to sell some games or return certain unopened games, before I can buy something I "MUST" have. I have a very nice game closet, but it's getting too full, so I have cut back big time, and will be selling some, and buying new...

I have been trying to be better and set up a Geeklist, mainly for myself, to show what I have bought. This has helped me to some quiet weeks... as I get a little embarrassed about how many things I believe I need...

CharmlessMan77's game closet is already full though - Purchases 2014
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a budget as such but have always seemed to spend around $3000 a year.

This year that stopped by choice.

I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 and buy no more than 10 new games this year.

Somehow my gaming gene managed to find a way around my good intentions by seeing me spend $800 on a painting service for my Space Hulk 3rd Ed., Mice and Mystics and Descent Hero figures.

Then I went and completed my collection of Formula De tracks for another $500...shake

It was like my brain said, "Not gonna buy games eh? Screw you we find other ways..."

My Gaming Budget - Includes postage for trades, games purchased and miscellanious costs such as storage items, painting, general pimping etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No formal budget, but if I had a budget it would be for games and gaming supplies. I've got a general idea of how much discretionary spending I have per month, and typically spend £100-150 on games and gaming paraphernalia every 3-6 months. Meaning it looks like I spend more on games than I do.

...This is going to be changing very soon, but I don't yet have my budget for when I move since I don't yet know how much me and my boyfriend will be going through, and I'll have access to a FLGS whereas atm I'm doing internet purchases (Hence the 'one large box of games every few months' style approach rather than a more sensible looking 'one game a month' style approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have a budget, but my buying habits over the last few years have been based more on asking myself (and honestly answering as best I can) whether or not I'll get around to playing a new game and do I have space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much only buy games at thrift stores and probably will only get other games by trading for them. I have too many games now to buy any more at full price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
calandale wrote:
No formal budget. Space is the most important consideration nowadays.

Space-budgeting is important indeed...

Heh, there's a possible future poll idea. "How many shelf-feet of games do you own?" or something similar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually only set a budget for Essen which then is exclusively for games. I'm not sure how to deal with kickstarter Essen pick ups as this money is spent, but not really at Essen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a budget. We do consider what games we buy (or don't buy) quite carefully. But that's as much (or maybe more) about space and trying to buy games that will actually get played, as about money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spend everything left over after paying the rent, groceries and gasoline on games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my general rule is £25/month. If I get any non-salary bits of money (Such as Christmas/Selling an old PC last month, etc) I add a small portion of that to the budget. It's also just for the games, I don't count the cost of foamcore & such but that's cheap anyway.

I only started trying to do this about 4 months ago, and have been within budget until this week thanks to Tuscany + Mercs: Recon. Not sure I'll stay in for Recon but I'm watching it. My plan is that I can't make any more purchases until the £25/month tick takes me back to positive to make up for it ^^.

I think trying to keep to a budget is helping a lot to cull my desires for games. I maintain a list now of the ones I'm interested in, and find that through the extra research that happens in the longer time between buying means I actually remove a lot of games from it and it's half the size is was when I was buying more frequently ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

We have a gaming budget of £200 a year, which we get after Essen each year. It counts all NEW games purchases - it doesn't count games bought at car boots or charity shops, games bought as gifts for the kids for birthdays/Christmas etc, or postage for trading games. We've had this budget for many years now, after our one and only trip to Essen - we decided on following years to spend the amount we would have spent on the trip on games, and have kept with that ever since. With a collection the size we have, that's enough to cover our new games purchases, although it has been getting harder the last few years with game prices shooting up - at some point we will have to allow for inflation! Trading also brings many other games into the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Kowalewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From 130 answers 68 has no budget.
And in Q3 only 20 people've abstained from voting, 30 never goes over a budget and 7 all the time do it. We have at least 11 gamers who created a budget between Q1 and Q3 and even bought a game(?!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only tend to buy games when I go to Essen, but have got to the point where I am trying to limit purchases as my collection has got to a size where too many games get too few plays and I don't like buying games that will only get one or two plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Frąckowiak
Poland
Kołobrzeg/Szczecin
Zachodniopomorskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started managing my finances last year and thus have a column labelled "fun expenses". Games count into it. Why? I just realised how much money I waste! It was a difficult decision but thanks to that I only buy stuff that I really need, including games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I manage this mainly by trying to avoid mindless buying. That limits things enough that money and space aren't critical limitations.

I will point out that if you make an effort to sell or trade games you no longer need for games you want or money to buy games you want, it helps with both the money and the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I'm surprised by how few folks include conventions/travel/entry in their gaming budget. That's 90% of my gaming budget, as I tend to keep a constant-sized collection so sales and acquisitions tend to nearly balance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a specific budget. We mostly ask for games for birthdays and holidays. If it's an out-of-print game, I'll just buy it when I find a copy at a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.