Popular Tags: [View All]
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to get into this game, but am confused as to how best to start. Should I buy the core game or buy two starter sets. I understand that expansions are needed to really get tactics in place, but which is best to start with?

Opinions appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tough question as the game is getting a facelift right now.
the core set would be best i believe but it uses the V1 rules, plus most available expansion units are all using V1 cards and stats. nevertheless card packs are on the way to get all the units compatible with the new rules.
If you are just beginning i'd say go for the new starters as this is the way Dust is heading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Lacza
Hungary
Ballószög
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a revised core set for cheap a week ago.

After this my ultimate wish would be the original core set, but I don't think I'll be able to get it. So I think I'll be getting the new starters, this way I'll have 1 light and 1 medium walker, 2 heroes and 5 squads/side.

If You can get the RCS for cheap, get it, otherwise get the new starters (and if You want the SSU, the later is the best to get balanced forces)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab the revised if you want to play now and not in an unknown future that may be several months.

The new starters use a new ruleset. The revised core set uses the old ruleset.

The new starters have unit cards that work only with the new ruleset that's not even completely released yet. Old units do not have working stats for the new ruleset. So you'll be stuck playing starter VS starter set until they can release the unit stats for all older models. Who knows when those'll be released...

If you go with the old revised core set, every unit released so far will already work. WHEN they release the complete new ruleset along with the new unit cards for older models, then get that and switch to the new ruleset... if you want...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Martin - get the Revised Core Set. It's out of print and starting to become harder to find, and is the best bang for your buck you can currently get.

The new starter sets contain an incomplete ruleset which won't work with anything but the units in the starter sets still. The V1 rules are perfectly good on their own (I wouldn't call the new rules better, just different). Get the Revised Core and then think about getting the starter sets later when the full V2 rules are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get Revised Core Set. You get two armies instead of one, including several great units that are only available (for quite a while, anyway) in that set. You can get it for around $55 online, which is relatively cheap.

BF will be releasing a comprehensive revised rulebook at some point (hopefully soon, for the sake of our collective sanity...), along with unit cards, so you can just upgrade those aspects then.

If you want all three factions, you could always get the SSU Starter Set, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Maier
Ireland
Wicklow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
did they change the stats on the cards in the new stater sets or are they still the same? I mean, can you use the new cards with the old rulebook and the old cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrcoyote6666 wrote:
did they change the stats on the cards in the new stater sets or are they still the same? I mean, can you use the new cards with the old rulebook and the old cards?

Some of the stats are changed. For instance, Pounder has "Fast" now instead of "Jump".

It's easy to find the original cards online though, or you could just play with the new stats, although I'm not sure if it would still be balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.