Subject: Named monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lewis
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
When drawing from the monster cup should monsters that have specific names like the dark pharoah and the dunwich horror be included with regular monsters? Should they be removed from the cup only if a herald sheet requires them? What if a named monster is in play, and then a card tries to put it in play? Is it moved to fit the new request? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should be set aside and not included in your general cup, much like Mask monsters. The rules sheets should say something about that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters which have the red circle "spawn monster" symbol on their front should not be in your cup. Neither should monsters which have the "Mask" keyword on their back (unless you are playing with Nyarlathotep as your Ancient One).

I'm not sure abut the case of a named monster being called for by an encounter when it is already on the board; I haven't had it come up in 120+ games. Perhaps someone else can answer this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Dunwich is a special monster, a mini boss that only wakes up under certain conditions (you have to be using the separate dunwich board), the other special monsters are tied into specific Great Old Ones etc..it will say on the old one card or the expansion rules when and where to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lewis
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ah ok so... I have been using the dark pharoah as a normal monster even though not using the herald sheet that requires him. So that is incorrect. I will seperate him from the cup :-) I only started playing this game 2weeks ago so I'm still trying to get all the rules right. I lack Kingsport, innsmouth, and lurker expansions then my game will be complete!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't bother with removing the Masks from the cup before (or after) each game. I just leave them there, and, if I ever draw them from the cup, I toss them into the game box and draw something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some unique monsters included in Dunwich and Insmouth (Barnabas Marsh, Old man Watley, etc). These are used in all games.

Spawns all have the Spawn symbol on them. Masks, are not as easy to spot from the front side, but all have the word Mask on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.