Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Casillo
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What would you do with a "valueless" game?
Donate (describe to whom in a comment)
List on eBay with $1 starting bid
Burn for heat
Recycle and/or compost
Other (describe in a comment)
      64 answers
Poll created by fourseamer

I hope this is just a harmless exercise from which some smart, productive responses emerge. I have a game that for all intents and purposes is valueless. In other words, I'm not going to get anything close to what I paid for it in dollars or another game in trade.

Despite four math trades with slackened want lists, three listings on eBay for less than what I paid for it (including shipping), and a listing on BGG, there appears to be virtually no demand for it.

And that's okay. It wasn't expensive to begin with, and this is the nature of "things" sometimes. However, I'm really short on space, so I want to send it along to the place where the most can be made of it.

At this point, I'm just curious what others do with games that won't return anything they deem as worth their time? Selling it for a dollar or two just isn't worth the time, so I'm leaning toward donating. Where's the best place to donate? Library, school, somewhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh... I've got one of those...

is it... Age of Gods?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there components that are useful for other games?
YES - Remove said components + compost remaining
NO - Donate to charity (ie. Goodwill)

NOTE: I am assuming that all the checks have been made into whether anyone might want a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're in the US - your local Goodwill or similar.

This turns something 'valueless' into cash for a good cause. Depending on the item you could also include a suggested price (in this case it doesn't sound like this would be necessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What games are they by the way?

One thing to realize is that the cost of shipping is going to kill the any trade/sale for a low-value item. I had a couple of games that I couldn't get rid of in any trades because the cost of shipping was probably more than the game was worth. I finally unloaded a bunch of them at a convention that had a no-ship auction and math trade. If you have access to that path, I'd recommend doing that. Suddenly, games which made no sense to trade or sell with shipping costs, could now be traded or sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah or mention it here and someone may have a use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken watanabe
United States
mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few friends that are teachers and ive given them games and actually bought a few at thrift stores to give to the school. My one buddy teaches troubled kids and has turned them on to board games. I also sent a few games to the troops overseas through a pastor i know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Casillo
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses so far. I have a Goodwill not far from here where I can easily drop it off. I'll probably go that route. I've withheld the name of the game, because I didn't want this to turn into an ad or listing for my game. Would rather explore the practice of finding good homes for cheap games. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Burkholder

Kennesaw
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to take a risk I would suggest a no reserve auction either on BGG or eBay. I know you have tried auctions already but you may want to consider it again. Of course auctions work best on BGG when you are auctioning more than one title so you draw enough interest. If this is the only game you currently want to sell I suggest eBay. (Personally I dislike BIN auctions on BGG although I don't mind higher starting bids. On eBay this tactic does not seem to work nearly as well, the $0.99 starting price seems to do a magical job creating value for tough to sell items.)

In my eBay experience I have often listed items as a buy it now auction multiple times lowering the price each time to no avail. Then I decide to take a risk and list it as a no reserve $0.99 starting price auction on eBay. The majority of the time the item sells for more than the buy it now price I had it listed at previously. I often troll eBay looking for "cheap" games starting at $0.99 only to end up buying them for more than I originally intended.

I think this happens for two reasons.

1. One I am competitive angry (most gamers are)and I hate loosing auctions.cry People out bid me buy a few bucks, then I outbid them by a few bucks and before you know it one of us is buying the item for $20 more than either of us originally intended.

2. When I find a game listed for $0.99 I then do a little research (on BGG of course )reading reviews etc. More often than not its the auction that makes me look at the game in the first place, after reading positive reviews I decide "I want it" . Had the game not been listed for $0.99 cents before I never would have attempted to buy it in the first place.

I currently have one item on eBay that has not sold for 3 weeks on a buy it now auction. After listing it for a $0.99 starting price the bid is currently over my BIN price with 2days of time remaining. I expect it will sell for 25-40% more than my BIN price once the auction is over.

Occasionally (10% or less) of the time my item sells for far less than I think its worth surprise but hey at least it is going to go to a good home of someone who intentionally decided to buy it vs. someone who randomly stumbles across it in the thrift store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know any game designers? Often there are local groups. You might ask if they want the bits for design work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just let it take up shelf space.. sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an argument for just trashing it. Not that I am saying you should, but Rob Daviau made a great argument about it in a lecture he gave on legacy games.

As a consumer you don't think anything of tossing away a pizza box with a little left over pizza in it away. You had your experience and now it is useless to you and everyone else. Board Games are really just a consumable item as well. You play it until you are sick of it and have no use for it. You could just throw it away. The amount of satisfaction you got from it could be likened to the amount of satisfaction you get from any consumable item that you throw away when it is used up.

If you can get passed the psychological attachment, throwing it away would seem like the best option if the amount of work involved in doing something else is too great. If you are still willing to try an donate or sell it, by all means do so. But if all else fails there is nothing really wrong with just tossing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Half Price Books buys boardgames. The amount of money you'll get from them is about 20% of what they think the game will sell for, so it ain't much. But it is something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's zero demand? Goodwill.

If some people want it in trade, but it's not worth the shipping? Find some other trade with a person who wants it-- a trade that's worth doing without that game, and see if they're willing to take it. "Free" is hard to argue with!

But if nobody wants it even as a trade sweetener, it's probably better off on a Goodwill shelf anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kelsheimer
United States
Syracuse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games for GeekGold, right here on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally donate games like this to my church garage sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If its really that bad I'll either scrap it for game design parts, although sometimes for the smaller games I'll sneak it into someone's present or in a trade/sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also post it here.

I Thrifted It, You Want It! (OLD)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Clausen
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would keep it on my shelves until I ran out of room, and then probably just make more room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
Are there components that are useful for other games?
YES - Remove said components + compost remaining
NO - Donate to charity (ie. Goodwill)

This is what I would recommend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the "harvest components" if you need them, then give it away to a charity or goodwill or whatever (unless you feel it is so atrocious of a game that it should never see the light of day because it will tarnish the reputation of boardgames in general to a potential player).

Harvesting components is very liberal to me. Tokens are always useful - little plastic bits or cubes. Cards? Sleeves (opaque backed if needed) means you can make paper proxies for cards - especially useful for prototyping. Does it have a board? You can use that as a base for a custom board you print out (like if you want to make a 2 player Brass map). Tiles? Again, you can make your own custom tiles by printing on labels, cutting, sticking, then maybe apply a self-adhesive laminate on it.

Of course, even if it is a horrible game, donate it if it has usable components - people who like to prototype will buy it for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS has a demo room/ in store library and they will usually give $5.00 store credit for just about anything. I have also been know to just give stuff that is of little to know value. This could be another viable option to all those included above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe in donating crap. I buy at thrift stores and am disgusted at the rows of unusable stuff folks donate.

One thing to ckeck, is go to the games profile page and scroll down to user info and see if anyone likes their game enough to request parts to replace missing ones. They will pay postage and you will have done a better good deed than donating where the odds of anyone finding it that want it is very low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.