Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://traffic.libsyn.com/dicetowershowdown/DTS012-DiceTower...

In our twelfth episode, we debate the merits of the game Innovation, and also have a four-way showdown to find out what is Stefan Feld's best game!

To vote in the debates, go here!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/162440/dice-tower-show...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the format for the Stefan Feld's best game topic. I thought having four things being compared, each with their own "champion" was much more interesting. I hope to hear future topics, that can support that, use something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the format as well. Keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
bhudson1972 wrote:
Tom,

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the format for the Stefan Feld's best game topic. I thought having four things being compared, each with their own "champion" was much more interesting. I hope to hear future topics, that can support that, use something like this.

I totally disagree. I thought that the 4-way "debate" was very ineffectual. It was enjoyable to listen to, but the four games in no way got equal time, were equally scrutinized, or were fairly compared.

It would be okay if you want the Showdown to turn into yet another broad discussion of a top-10-ish list of games. But if you want it to maintain the "face off"/debate format, then I don't think it works at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
bhudson1972 wrote:
Tom,

I totally disagree. I thought that the 4-way "debate" was very ineffectual. It was enjoyable to listen to, but the four games in no way got equal time, were equally scrutinized, or were fairly compared.

It would be okay if you want the Showdown to turn into yet another broad discussion of a top-10-ish list of games. But if you want it to maintain the "face off"/debate format, then I don't think it works at all.

Interesting take Chris. I thought they did well. They each seemed to have equal mic time, and I thought the discussion was fruitful given the time allowed (it's not a long view after all!). I thought the unique qualities of the games were presented (i.e. the drafting in Notre Dame, the multi use cards in Bruges, the mancala rondel of Trajan, and the dice allocation/kingdom building of Castles). While I do not agree with everything said by the participants by any means, I thought it was an interesting way to give a quick, brief overview of the qualities of these games that the contributors found compelling and, in that, I think it is useful for someone who may be curious about which of these games may resonate with them. I agree that it was not a "showdown", but as a featurette, I found it fun.

That being said, I respect your opinion. What were you looking for? What were your expectations for the segment, or do you simply feel it has no place? I think there is a call for designer spotlights, but they are massive and hard to do (trust me, I know, I did one on Feld myself with Joel). I kind of enjoyed the shorter take. Do you feel a long format is better, or did you just not care for the execution? Just curious. I'd love to hear more specifics from you. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor anti-Innovation guests. They sounded very flustered trying to put down the game. That, and none of their arguments were really that effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
ggambill wrote:
kilroy_locke wrote:

Interesting take Chris. I thought they did well. They each seemed to have equal mic time, and I thought the discussion was fruitful given the time allowed (it's not a long view after all!). I thought the unique qualities of the games were presented (i.e. the drafting in Notre Dame, the multi use cards in Bruges, the mancala rondel of Trajan, and the dice allocation/kingdom building of Castles). While I do not agree with everything said by the participants by any means, I thought it was an interesting way to give a quick, brief overview of the qualities of these games that the contributors found compelling and, in that, I think it is useful for someone who may be curious about which of these games may resonate with them. I agree that it was not a "showdown", but as a featurette, I found it fun.

That being said, I respect your opinion. What were you looking for? What were your expectations for the segment, or do you simply feel it has no place? I think there is a call for designer spotlights, but they are massive and hard to do (trust me, I know, I did one on Feld myself with Joel). I kind of enjoyed the shorter take. Do you feel a long format is better, or did you just not care for the execution? Just curious. I'd love to hear more specifics from you. Thanks!

Mostly, it goes to format. For a "Top 10" sort of segment, where Tom and Eric or Tom/Zee/Sam each listed their favorite Feld games and commented on each other's lists, this style would be cool. And again, if that's what you're going for, it did pretty well, and I enjoyed the actual segment for what it was.

But it was not in any way a real debate. Castles of Burgundy didn't get near the air time as the others. No one even really mentioned the biggest flaw of Bruges (which is its overwhelming dependence on luck, btw). And generally, there was just too much said and too many points to consider for any real comprehensive debate of all 4 games.

Lots of other podcasts have top 10 lists and designer spotlights and/or just generally discuss a group of games. But the whole point of the Showdown podcast was to, in a more formalized format, actually debate between two similar games or the merits and flaws of one game. So to me, to continue more of these broad multi-game discussions is a big step away from what makes this podcast special and different from all the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.