Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like there is a fair bit of defensive/counter spells and movement spells that could potentially increase the length of the game, has this been your experience? We play where we mix all cards together since we like the possibility of crazy combo's and we enjoy fighting one another. If this becomes more a spell/counter-spell situation and the crazy combo's are more easily nullified, I think I'd prefer to play without the expansion.

Also how much longer is the game with 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I played with Malefic Curses (with the "Giant Spellbook" variant)--I eliminated an opponent by turn 5--and was eliminated myself shortly thereafter.

So, in that regard--the game length seemed a bit shorter than usual!

That was also a 5-player game--it went on for a few more turns (about 15-30 mins) for a treasure chest win. So again, the effect seems minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these. I'd like to hear more because as stated, it is difficult to gauge game length in a game like this. So far it looks positive though.

Still want to know if the focus has changed to a more defensive style now? Also is it more likely to be a treasure win now?

Lastly I should have asked if it seems to improve the 3 player game at all as this is the usual player count for this game in my group (we tend to play other games if we get 4+).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon,
it really depends on the way people interact, i.e. if they coop to eliminate very soonish some opponents or not. I've memories of 4-p games lasting for 2 hours, so I guess 5p could be even longer. It also heavily depends on how random your deck is: Giant Book of Spells clearly gives you a lot more impredictable results than 3 schools only.

I'd suggest anyway to houserule the number of points required to win the game: winning at 2 VP is ok for 2-3p, but for higher number of players, I found a good way is to go with

VP = N-1

where N is the number of players

As you can see, for 3p it's still 2, for 4p is 3, 5p is 4 (3 could also works for 5p; I don't have that many games with such a crowded attendance under my belt to give a meaningful answer to this point)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Still want to know if the focus has changed to a more defensive style now? Also is it more likely to be a treasure win now?

It's not more defensive, but it's more strategical, having greater interactions among the board and the wizards. Definitely some of the new attack spells are brutal, and defintely a Skull Servant or a Hex carved in the proper positions will grant some more interesting challenges to consider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.