Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: 2014 War of the Ring International Online Tournament Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for our annual tournament. Registration for the tournament is here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15185327#15185327

Use this thread for questions and discussion. Pairings in about two weeks on a separate thread. Thanks!

Update: Link to ladder corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my questions:

What is "normal" as far as availability is concerned? Due to general busy-ness I could see myself being able to play in 1 hour blocks between 10pm and 11:30pm (Eastern Time). Is this too restrictive? Is there a strong preference for playing all in one sitting or is it normal to play in chunks?

Also, out of curiosity, do players normally mirror there play on their physical board? I think this is how I would have to do it to play normally.

Perhaps some of these answers would be evident if I got my first ladder game under my belt.

Thanks,
Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne, I have played friendly games completely on the board and just trusting the other player with their cards and dice rolls. However as this is a tournament we use the Java program which does a good job. You probably don't want to spend time moving pieces on the Java program and a real board.

Most of us are quite busy, which is why playing one game to settle the match is an option. Also since people are all over the world in different time zones, getting in an hour of play works, I have done this in the past. Also have had to wake up at unusual hours to do so! But 50% of us won't make it past the first round so hey, it is all in good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to Organized Play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Fuentes
Spain
Murcia
Murcia
flag msg tools
I would probably have to play the games in two sessions, if it´s not a problem i would participate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can finish your games in multiple sessions. The critical part is getting your match completed in no more than three weeks. Since you can optionally play just one game, rather than 2/3, this should be feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Fuentes
Spain
Murcia
Murcia
flag msg tools
Belisarius88 wrote:
You can finish your games in multiple sessions. The critical part is getting your match completed in no more than three weeks. Since you can optionally play just one game, rather than 2/3, this should be feasible.

ok, thanks, i will play in that case

do we send to you our e-mail by private message?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When does this start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScrewTape wrote:
When does this start?

From the registration thread.

"I expect the tournament to start in about two weeks"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessary. I will email everyone who has registered for the tournament their 1st round pairings.

TIGRE9 wrote:
Belisarius88 wrote:

ok, thanks, i will play in that case

do we send to you our e-mail by private message?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be seeding based on the ladder ratings (like last year), or will it be random draw (like the LOME tourney)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well now you have to be on the ladder to play, so everyone needs to get at least one game in to be registered. The primary purpose is just to make sure you are able to use the java program and can connect to an opponent. This process can be tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Germany
flag msg tools
You mentioned a "donation of 5$ would be ideal" whistle how would you "ideally" would like to receive that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is to my email via Paypal. I will email this info to everyone with first round pairings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a good number of players signed up, although a few have not played any ladder games. I hope that does among us who have a some time can help those folks play an online game or two. I've spoken to three such individuals but have not managed to actually play a game with any of them (mostly due to limited time on my part).

In terms of plaque donations I have collected $45 so far. We need $50 for the 1st place plaque (which includes shipping) and probably $40 for the 2d place plaque. Usually one of the winners is international, so close to $100 gets them both shipped. If we fall too short I'll just do the 1st place plaque. I had a couple of individuals send $10 or more, that's great. I know some of the players are international and $5 is a significant sum but we still want them to participate.

I hope to have pairings up for Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost done. The top 10 from the ladder are all present. The highest missing player is #11 Lykouragh. The top 8 ladder players get byes R1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone playing to play their opening games this weekend?

If so:

1) If you have never used the client before, be prepared to have problems connecting. Try and at least connect to another player (preferably as the host) before you start your scheduled game.

2) If you fancy having your game broadcasted live, send me a message and I will see if I can set something up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Live game in play here GamesJart vs Steva Fields:

Started some time ago forgot to post on here, but you might be able to watch from the beginning if you like.

https://new.livestream.com/accounts/4691906/events/2933791
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the games coming along, people? The date for the first round is past and I still see a lot of unplayed or unfinished matches. Any progress reports?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humberto told me that he and Mohit Goel were unable to align their schedules and Mohit conceded, so Humberto and I are planning our first game tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank or so
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to assume that my first opponent, Herald85 also concedes to me, because he canceled our last both appointment and did not answer to my last mail since a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have posted here that we will give the first round games one more weekend to finish. I'm one of the guilty parties as well. I expect things to move faster after this with half the players remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm one of the guilty parties as well

Michael your round is not scheduled to finish until the 18th of May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn you are right, I'm technically round 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, I think the 1 week extension is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.