Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a good line up for a intro game? Probably three players.
I have ran it solo just to see how it works and it was brutally difficult so I don't want new player to run off from this game with a bad taste in there mouth. Now mind you the solo run throughs I did was first running 3 heroes and I won but I think I did some stuff wrong ( a lot to keep up with solo) and the two current plays I ran with two heros and died of corse. I know it says when playing it two players use three heros but I was going to try it with two, so I know that these plays are a bit off. So any help with a good set up to teach the game, I want to get them hooked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I taught some friends, I made sure to give them less complicated heroes. Haka, Legacy (although he can be a bit boring), Ra, and Tempest are all good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
Legacy, Tempest, Ra vs. Baron Blade in Megalopolis

About the most straightforward matchup I can think of. The Villain/Environment combo doesn't do anything too crazy, and is pretty forgiving of "new player" mistakes.

Legacy provides support and protection for the team
Tempest provides some damage output and some support/healing
Ra sets things on fire. A lot. And laughs.

The only drawback to this lineup is that the heroes can sometimes be *too* straightforward.

This can sometimes cause players to feel that their choices aren't really significant/are forced. There will be occasions where the best action is so abundantly clear that it feels like there isn't any real player choice. (Example: Ra has two powers in play - one deals 2 damage and one deals 3. Does he really have a choice of which power to use? Why would he ever realistically choose to do less damage?)

Just make sure that if that becomes an issue, your players know that there are a huge variety of other characters with a lot more depth, decision space, and flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually leave out Legacy in a first 3-person game. He's really good as support, but with only two other heroes to support it's not that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baron Blade in Insula Primalis against Ra, Legacy and Tempest

Baron Blade is a very good introductory villain, he demonstrates villain targets, ongoing destruction, retaliatory damage and different villain win conditions without being over complex (and the Nemesis bonus if Legacy is being played).

Insula Primalis is a good choice because it has dinosaurs. (Also nothing that restricts the basic play, power, draw phases as other environments can)

Ra's a good starting choice as he is a damage dealer, very simple, very direct but with some combos that a new player can spot.

Tempest is a good multi target damage dealer, a lot less damage given out to single targets than Ra but also with more utility, s/he has card that allow them to destroy ongoings and environment cards, useful things to see in action.

Legacy's a good choice because he can buff the other heroes, with his help you can change a good attack into a great attack. But he can be boring for people to play, sometimes his game is spent playing a reasonable card and then using the same power each turn, if you're trying to get people to like the game I recommend taking this role yourself. He has other strengths but they may not come up in an introductory game.

EDIT: I would not play in Megalopolis for your first game, that has many cards that restrict what you can do and for your first game it's never fun to be told "You can't use those things right now". Let the players get an idea of the basic flow of the game first before introducing things that change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAURICIO FLORES
Bolivia
centereach
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
I would not play in Megalopolis for your first game, that has many cards that restrict what you can do and for your first game it's never fun to be told "You can't use those things right now". Let the players get an idea of the basic flow of the game first before introducing things that change it.

Totally agree. Megalopolis is really mean to the heroes. I think that for new players, Megalopolis and especially Wagner Mars Base are a game breaker.

You can try with all the heroes sugested, and I agree that Baron Blade is the best introductory villain.

You can play with a more complex hero if you know the game, to let your friends see what cool things the game brings later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that starting with the 1 complexity heroes is generally a good idea, I wouldn't be too strict on that. If someone really wants to play a more complex hero (and is good at picking up new games), I don't see any reason not to let them. I played Absolute Zero for my first game, and he's been my favorite character ever since.

cgrater wrote:
Legacy, Tempest, Ra vs. Baron Blade in Megalopolis

About the most straightforward matchup I can think of. The Villain/Environment combo doesn't do anything too crazy, and is pretty forgiving of "new player" mistakes.

I would recommend Insula Primalis instead of Megalopolis. Megalopolis is a fairly easy environment, but it does have several cards that "shut down" heroes (can't play cards, can't use powers, etc.), which can be frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hananto
Indonesia
Tangerang
Banten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I would recommend starting with 4 heroes instead. It will give more breathing and some room to make careless mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I played Ra my first game and was underwhelmed to mildly turned off by the game because of the monotony. I also, personally, don't love Legacy (co-sign on boring to play). Consider Tempest, Wraith and Tachyon as good, stright forward but a little more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have it, Ambuscade is another good introductory villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blade in Insula Primalis is my go-to new player setup.

I almost always play Legacy in such games, despite the fact that he's not terribly exciting, because he makes the other players have more fun generally and is useful to get them thinking about the buffs/debuffs/other effects that are on the board. I do make sure to tell them that this setup is like Sentinels Training Mode, and that it gets much harder.

Always set the game up to maximise the win for the first game. Losing badly will turn a lot of people off straight away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
If you have Ambuscade, use him rather than Blade. He is very good as a first villain, and his invibility feels awesome If not, consider Omnitron.
Baron Blade works very differently from other ennemies. In the first part of the fight, the heroes are racing against time, trying to do lots of damage very fast - as your players are discovering the game and their heroes, this constraint may both reduce the pleasure of discovery and make the game harder. Omnitron is I think a better first villain.

I would not use Megalopolis, for reasons evoked by other posters : many cards limit what the heroes can do, it is not a good idea in a first game. Insula Primalis would have my vote : dinosaurs and volcanoes are awesome, damage is big (and is feels awesome), it's not too complicated.

Heroes. I would say either Ra or Haka, the Wraith, and Tempest or Legacy (but you should be the one playing Legacy as he can feel boring for first time players).
This way, you show a greater range of heroes, abilities and play styles. After this first game, you can go against Baron Blade and let your friends chose other heroes (avoid the complexity 3 and 4 at first, however, there's too big a chance for new players to be disapointed by them).

Summary, my vote : Haka,Wraith and Tempest vs Omnitron in Insula Primalis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.
We went Baron Blade at Insula Primalis the heroes we used are Legacy, wraith, and Ab Zero. We got creamed but had a blast doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to necro an old thread but I really do want to emphasize that, if you're playing with Legacy in the game, you should be the one playing him as the owner/teacher. The other players will appreciate your buffs and occasional damage, but will probably not enjoy giving that to other people if they were playing as him.

I also feel that letting players pick a hero they find interesting is important. If they're picking a complex hero (like Absolute Zero), give them some warning so that they aren't blindsided... but if they still want to play then let them. This is a game about variety, choices, and cooperation. Don't go alpha gamer on them and force them to play a certain hero . Even if they do poorly, it will give them an idea about the difficulty level that the game can reach, as well as (potentially) sparking some interest for them by giving their brain a puzzle to chew on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.