8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: playing the co-op scenarios solo (sort of) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love this game, but i really want to try some other scenarios as i have only played the solo scenario, and full conquest (once). i'd like to try the other non-competitive co-op scenarios, but the people in my game group dont care for the game too much. too long, triggers AP too often... blah blah.

I was wondering, has anyone tried a variant where you play as 2 characters (or even 3 i guess) simultaneously? off the top of my head it doesnt seem like it would be too hard, and i dont think i would have to change any rules... I would probably use a dummy player as if it were a solo scenario so that i couldnt drag out each round on purpose.

any thoughts? suggestions?

also i just ordered lost legions, that should be fun when it arrives. and eventually i'll start digging through the files here on BGG too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the co-op scenarios are the same as the solo scenario (standard conquest). It could be interesting to play multiple heroes. I think co-op has a dummy timer anyway.

For something more different, search on the forums here for solo setup for Dungeon Lords, Mines Liberation and some of the other more unique scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played 2 players at once a couple times and it is a lot of fun (for me, anyway). It does add a decent amount of time, but I'm never in a rush when I play Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirstevie3 wrote:
i love this game, but i really want to try some other scenarios as i have only played the solo scenario, and full conquest (once). i'd like to try the other non-competitive co-op scenarios, but the people in my game group dont care for the game too much. too long, triggers AP too often... blah blah.

try to play the game with just one more friend... these issues (lenght and downtime) will be so lower and the game more funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
I've played 2 players at once a couple times and it is a lot of fun (for me, anyway). It does add a decent amount of time, but I'm never in a rush when I play Mage Knight.

Same here. When I first got the game my Son wanted to play with me but he was a little too young at the time so it was pretty much a two-player co-op solo game.

Since then, I've done it that way every once in a while just for giggles and enjoyed it. I guess it feels like you're getting in two games at once since you get to see more skills and unique cards than you would with just one character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually the only way I've ever played Mage Knight. I don't have anyone else I can really play with (until my son is a few years older, at least). The good thing about playing solo is there's no AP issue. On the other hand, I'd really enjoy playing this with someone and I get really bored with the limited co-op scenarios, so I appreciate the suggestions about looking for modifications on the competitive scenarios. For the first several games, I played with 2-3 characters and no dummy player, all in co-op mode. Does anyone know whether playing without a dummy in this situation gives us a competitive advantage? Are we supposed to always have a dummy player? Also, I purchased and have twice played with the Lost Legion expansion. I was hoping it would add a lot more scenarios but it's only a few (and I think just one is co-op, if I remember). Anyone know where to look for other good co-op scenarios, or other ways to maximize the re-playability if you are only playing solo? As many other people have said before, sometimes the mere thought of pulling this game out setting it up and starting a massive game is just too overwhelming and depletes my enthusiasm for it. Much as I love it, I need new game variants to motivate me to get it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gardener1817 wrote:
For the first several games, I played with 2-3 characters and no dummy player, all in co-op mode. Does anyone know whether playing without a dummy in this situation gives us a competitive advantage?

I think it's both amusing and disturbing that I referred to the 3 characters I control as a solo player as an "us."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gardener1817 wrote:
Does anyone know whether playing without a dummy in this situation gives us a competitive advantage? Are we supposed to always have a dummy player?

In Co-Ops, unless playing against Volkaire, you are supposed to have a dummy. Otherwise, you can play slowly with someone sitting on a Magical Glade or Crystal Mine and getting a lot of benefits.
gardener1817 wrote:
I appreciate the suggestions about looking for modifications on the competitive scenarios.

Check the Variants section. For instance, see this thread for an index of other variants, including many solo ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.