Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Compounded» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exploding Compounds order of events (and small ? about Lab Fire card) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen H
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the order of events regarding exploding compounds.

When multiple compounds are being destroyed by the same fire, do they all explode simultaneously, or one at a time (left->right, top->bottom)?

For example, say the first two compounds in the upper left corner of the Research Field are both going to explode, and both have elements on them. Does Compound 1 explode first, possibly spreading elements to Compound 2, which will then also explode, or do they both explode at once?

If they are one at a time, elements originally on Compound 1 could potentially end up further afield after going through another compound (or potentially several others). In this case, an element from Compound 1, spread first to Compound 2, could ultimately end up on a compound in the 3rd column, beyond the reach of the original starting position of that element.

Also, there is the possibility that Compound 2 could be completed by the scattered elements from Compound 1, which would then allow points to be assigned if the Compound had been claimed (?).

If, however, all explosions take place simultaneously, then there is potentially less possibilities for elements to scatter (depending on how many exploding neighbors there are) and no 'mid explosion' scoring.

Also, I have a small question about the Lab Fire cards physical placement. The rule book says that when it is turned over it should be 'set aside' while the rest of the Field is finished being filled in. I took this to mean that the Lab Fire card is NOT placed within the Field, even temporarily. Every demo or game play video I've seen places the Lab Fire card IN the Field until the Fire/explosions have been fully resolved. Which is correct, in the Field, or not?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that explosions are handled one at a time, though I may be wrong. We've always played it that way, so I do believe that an element might scatter away farther that way in some circumstances. I also believe that this scatter could complete compounds, though scoring would depend on claims.

We have always played that when the lab fire cards come up, we set it to the side of the field and continued replenishing the field. We do not place it in the field. Again, nothing says I'm an expert, though, so I too am interested in how this is resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that you cannot place elements from one exploding compound onto another exploding compound. The rules first say that exploding compounds are removed from the research field. They then say that elements are scattered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
I believe that you cannot place elements from one exploding compound onto another exploding compound. The rules first say that exploding compounds are removed from the research field. They then say that elements are scattered.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kahaugla wrote:
Also, I have a small question about the Lab Fire cards physical placement. The rule book says that when it is turned over it should be 'set aside' while the rest of the Field is finished being filled in. I took this to mean that the Lab Fire card is NOT placed within the Field, even temporarily. Every demo or game play video I've seen places the Lab Fire card IN the Field until the Fire/explosions have been fully resolved. Which is correct, in the Field, or not?

The Lab Fire is set off to the side, and then discarded after the Lab Fire is totally resolved (making it the top of the discard pile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
getlouder wrote:
The Lab Fire is set off to the side, and then discarded after the Lab Fire is totally resolved (making it the top of the discard pile).

Wait, why do we care about the order of the cards in the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
getlouder wrote:

Wait, why do we care about the order of the cards in the discard pile?

No. Lab Fire on the top just is a nice thing to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New to the game, but I just want to clarify before I try to introduce others to the game:

I understand that there can only be one fire card plus volatile reactions. However, if the explosions are only from reactions, can the one explosion cause a chain reaction of explosions from volatile reactions across the board from the elements filling other compounds. I believe the answer is yes, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.