Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after your canal is completed, you might lose a canal piece, but you can not lose your statue, and you can not earn another statue. So after your canal piece is gone, is there any reason you would want to rebuild that lost piece? The only thing I see is if you lose 3 canal pieces, you would no longer occupy the canal #3 spot that gives you 3 points at the end of the game. But who cares about losing spot #4 & #5, right? Or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Baur
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebuilding those lost spaces might keep other players from achieving the canal majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems about right...majorities are the only other reason you might want to keep building (i.e. to stop others getting the canal majority).

Edit: stupid slow typing fingers ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, you are correct. You usually don't bother to re-build those segments.

You might re-build those segments if they let you claim the Canal Majority. This might happen if you don't have the correct color card to build the other side.

There is also at least one person card that gives you money and/or points for "Every X Canal sections." For these kinds of abilities, you may still want to re-build the lost canal, even if it doesn't give you another Statue (e.g. to build back up to 6 or 9 total canal segments)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But can't you build 5, get a statue, lose a canal, build the fifth again, and get another statue?

Or is there a statue for each side only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colormage1 wrote:
But can't you build 5, get a statue, lose a canal, build the fifth again, and get another statue?

I believe the rules specifically say you can rebuild your 5th section if you lose it but you will not get another statue (max 2 per player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javi Santos
Spain
sevilla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
colormage1 wrote:

I believe the rules specifically say you can rebuild your 5th section if you lose it but you will not get another statue (max 2 per player)

Exactly, you will not get a second statue for the same canal. So for a player there is a maximum of 2 statues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan depickere
Belgium
flag msg tools
Some card give you 2 extra points for a full canal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just consider it the benefit of having got the statue: you can now afford to lose canal pieces. If you haven't completed the section, losing a piece would be a greater inconvenience. It's just like you can sometimes afford to lose persons or ignore the ladder once you have got the majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.