7 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: L1Z1X and Dreadnaughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
How much of the L1Z1X strategy for building fleets and tech should they focus on dreadnaughts? Should they focus heavily on dreadnaughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 40-50%. You still need other ships for support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromage wrote:
How much of the L1Z1X strategy for building fleets and tech should they focus on dreadnaughts? Should they focus heavily on dreadnaughts?

I'd say don't focus on Dreadnaughts at all until you have the Type IV Drive tech. One move Dreadnaughts are useless for anything except defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
With the expansion, Gravity Drive may be worth getting, too, and is easier to get to.

But with L1Z1X, I think even slow Dreadnoughts are worth it, since they are cheaper and hit more easily; just build them closer to the front line, and you are good to go, and once they get faster, even better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
durium armor and their racial techs are insane for dreads but you need movement too. Gravity drive is usually the easy way, but type iv is needed later. Early on you can use the high alert token to get to key spots as well. additionally red tech that help all combat also make things easy.

I find that with all races there is a level of technology that is enough, usually differing slightly based on the game (I.E. is cash tight o the map, who the other races are, do objectives require combat to score etc.) Good players stop getting techs after they reach this point and focus on what is needed for the win.

any tech that you buy that doesn't help you win is at least 6 bucks wasted.think.. would this tech be better than a shiny new dread or a fully populated carrier with fighters?

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
With the expansion, Gravity Drive may be worth getting, too, and is easier to get to.

But with L1Z1X, I think even slow Dreadnoughts are worth it, since they are cheaper and hit more easily; just build them closer to the front line, and you are good to go, and once they get faster, even better!

Good point about the Gravity Drive. Regarding your second point, however, I would submit that while it's easy to build Dreadnaughts close to the front lines if all you're doing is scrapping over Mecatol Rex, it's a lot harder to do so if you're looking to seize an Artifact planet, tech resource planet, homeworld, etc. To be truly useful, they need that two movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Good point about the Gravity Drive. Regarding your second point, however, I would submit that while it's easy to build Dreadnaughts close to the front lines if all you're doing is scrapping over Mecatol Rex, it's a lot harder to do so if you're looking to seize an Artifact planet, tech resource planet, homeworld, etc. To be truly useful, they need that two movement.

Not sure I agree, except for the homeworld part. Putting them on the front line is just as easy no matter what you are scrapping over. When you are that close to the front, it's not uncommon that moving 2 isn't needed because you can only move one system anyway (due to enemy ships).

I think with most races, the slow speed and the high cost do make them less worthwhile, but I think the extra strength and lower cost just tip the scales enough to make it worthwhile for them; waiting until you get Type IV drive means it may be too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.