Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I am not found of the standard combat rules. Do you play differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you like them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike the idea of wasting an action to make a single attack roll. I believe that combat should be until death or withdraw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:
I dislike the idea of wasting an action to make a single attack roll. I believe that combat should be until death or withdraw.

Try playing it like that, then. Let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:

This requires a whole other ruleset though. You can only attack on your turn, so the attacker will always win unless the defender gets his shields high enough that he can never be hit. If you allow return fire, you have to remember that a ship that has power adjusted to high shields anticipating an attack is now running with lower weapons which again puts the defender at a clear disadvantage - they may not be able to pump their weapons up for return fire. So now you have to introduce rules that allow power adjustments in the middle of battle. Also, if you play a card in combat, how long does it last? The whole combat or just one attack?

You also need to define what "withdraw" means and how it occurs. What test do you use? You can't necessarily use breakaway rules because breakaway requires you to move out of the sector. What if I want to make a stand against your attack to stay in the sector I'm in but I don't want be in combat? How does a starbase or an outpost withdraw from combat?

Some missions would need rebalancing. "Destroy a ship" missions are difficult as is because they usually require more than one action to complete. You've just made those easier because now they can always be done with one action, not to mention the VP you get for the kill in the first place. Unless the "withdraw" action is reasonably easy to accomplish, attacking becomes a much more efficient point/action source of VPs. Considering the Klingons get more combat mission than the Feds, I'm guessing the Klingons benefits more from this idea.

I'm not saying your isn't possible, but I think there is a lot more to consider here, especially given the asymmetrical nature of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David jones.

I'm really exhausted after creating a solo scenario for this game.

I'll try to answer you at a latter time!

In the meanwhile, I hope you and the other "Captains" enjoy what I just submitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets go:

Primarily combat should be until death or withdraw.

In game terms: attacker spends 1 action to start combat. Attacker rolls dice and adds any card in his hand as a bonus. Defender does the same, regarding shields.

If the defender takes a hit, he can set his next alert level to any configuration possible, as usual (nothing new here so far).

However, the defender now can return fire or withdraw. If he chooses to fight back, he now attacks and the attacker defends. If he decides to withdraw, he makes a roll exactly like the Breakaway rules, with the exception that he now moves the ship to an adjacent tile.

Regarding Command cards, every "combat turn" should use a command card whose effects are instantaneous. You will only replenish them after the combat is done.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Chaney
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
That's still a a large advantage for the attacker, though - they'll start out with their optimal power setting (for attack or for the possible counterattack), but the defender doesn't get a choice.

Also, why does the defender have to leave if they don't want to counterattack (and risk taking more damage)? That seems to favor the attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruanek wrote:
That's still a a large advantage for the attacker, though - they'll start out with their optimal power setting (for attack or for the possible counterattack), but the defender doesn't get a choice.

But this is already the rule, the active player may make a power adjustment before declaring an action. If the defender is on low shields or weapons, he still can't PA to a more defensive setting.

Ruanek wrote:
Also, why does the defender have to leave if they don't want to counterattack (and risk taking more damage)? That seems to favor the attacker.

Because if he doesn't leave, the attacker will keep firing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Venshad wrote:

Just played a game this weekend and I'm begining to think a round of combat should be simultaneous for both attacker and defender

By simultaneous I mean; one ship makes their attack and the defending ship makes their attack roll right after but before damage is dealt to the defending ship. Ships would take any clicks of damage after both attacks have been resolved. The only combat option that would be affected, the loss of an adjustment.

Simultaneous combat would go quicker while being more fitting to the scale the game is trying to capture.

I think I'm gonna try this on my next soltaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:
Venshad wrote:

Just played a game this weekend and I'm begining to think a round of combat should be simultaneous for both attacker and defender

By simultaneous I mean; one ship makes their attack and the defending ship makes their attack roll right after but before damage is dealt to the defending ship. Ships would take any clicks of damage after both attacks have been resolved. The only combat option that would be affected, the loss of an adjustment.

Simultaneous combat would go quicker while being more fitting to the scale the game is trying to capture.

I think I'm gonna try this on my next soltaire game.
u

Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Van
United States
California
flag msg tools
The biggest thing to always bother me about the combat rules is that multiple ship combat seems super off balance. No matter the size of the defending fleet, opposing ships can all gang up on a single ship with no defense bonus for other friend ships in the area. I hav not play tested this yet, but a friend of mine an I were discussing a 'ship size -2' def bonus for other friendly ships in the area. this way the larger ships you had could provide some cover to help the smalle ships, but the smallest ships did not provide much of a bonus to larger ships def in combat. Might give it a test next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.