Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently only Terran and Talon, though I believe Jim said that more races are a possibility for potential expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Currently only Terran and Talon, though I believe Jim said that more races are a possibility for potential expansions.

Correct the base game will include Terran and Talon but we have many big ideas for future races. So far I've been really happy with how asymmetric/different the two races feel, yet the results have been pretty balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have roughed out three others, but have not done the background for them yet. The back story on the Talon empire is that they are currently at war with another race and their fight with the Terrans is a bit of a side show. It was supposed to be a quick territory/resource grab that turned ugly when the Terrans proved a tougher foe.

I roughed out the other races because I wanted to make sure the system was robust enough to handle expansion without all the races feeling the same. I want them to each be distinct. Looking over them, they could use a lot of work. Don't be misled and think they are ready for publishing. They are really just design concepts to make sure the system could handle other empires besides the Terran and the Talon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Eloff
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would there be sufficient variety in the Terran side for Terrans versus Terrans games?
I find the idea of aliens to be very far fetched and laughable. It is modern mans fairies and goblins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Elson wrote:
Would there be sufficient variety in the Terran side for Terrans versus Terrans games?
I find the idea of aliens to be very far fetched and laughable. It is modern mans fairies and goblins.
Why not just use the rules for the Talon ships but have them represent another Terran faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Elson wrote:

But...the whole setting is make-believe not reality. Why stress about aliens? It's like worrying about Orcs in the Lord of the Rings because you know that Orcs don't really exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's like worrying about Orcs in the Lord of the Rings because you know that Orcs don't really exist.

Actually, I think I went to high school with a couple.....ba-dum-tish....thank you very much, I will be in town all week.

Sure, you can play Terran on Terran scenarios, although the idea of using the Talons as a specific and different Terran faction is a good idea if you want to change the back story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are on the subject....each one of these races/factions is a lot of work because we are making them different, with different weapons, special abilities, and even vulnerability to damage. The majority of the work comes from balancing them.

We actually use spreadsheets to figure out the point values of weapons and then also the point values of ships. Quite a bit of work has gone into them. These spreadsheets obviously contain value judgments, but then we play test in an effort to validate those judgments, and then refine, refine, refine.

I'm hoping that when we start on the next race/faction these spreadsheets will make the process much quicker because so much of the skeleton will be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Elson wrote:

He he, that's what they say about us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
While we are on the subject....each one of these races/factions is a lot of work because we are making them different, with different weapons, special abilities, and even vulnerability to damage. The majority of the work comes from balancing them.

We actually use spreadsheets to figure out the point values of weapons and then also the point values of ships. Quite a bit of work has gone into them. These spreadsheets obviously contain value judgments, but then we play test in an effort to validate those judgments, and then refine, refine, refine.

I'm hoping that when we start on the next race/faction these spreadsheets will make the process much quicker because so much of the skeleton will be done.

Have I mentioned that I'm REALLY looking forward to this game? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to learn that there are other factions taken into account in the design process, and that there's an overarching story behind the "attack of evil aliens" thing. Could the Talon offer humans an alliance against their main for, once they've reckoned their battle prowess? Or will Terran actually ally with those other alien to fight back the aggressive Talons? I love when tidbits of background leave place for speculation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a tidbit from the last scenario:

The Terrans held the line and saved Earth, if just. At the end, the Terrans had thrown everything into the defense of Earth and barely won. The Talons, on the other hand, found themselves over extended and with much bigger problems elsewhere. What was supposed to be an easy and quick conquest to supply resources for their empire, had turned into a slugfest with a feisty and determined opponent. They wanted out. For the Terran's part, despite the fact that their outer colonies were still mostly intact, the attack on Earth had rattled them, and rightfully so. They jumped at the chance to end the war and had to give up very little to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.