Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still not 100% about this.

If someone attacks me with a double strike, and I have 2 defenses, can I use one (and only one) defense against each attack?

I assume I can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so.

The rules state that each Additional Strike of an Attack follows the Attack procedure starting with the Avoid Attack step. However, as you noted only one Defense can be used per Avoid Attack step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newb to MW (which means I've had my nose in the rule book for longer than I've actually played ) but this sounds correct to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. My concern was whether the second strike constituted a second attack, or counted as the same attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a bit muddy when it comes to "attacks." There are actually two completely separate beasts that often get referred to by this name. Those are "attack actions" and then their are individual "strikes."

An attack action refers to the creature spending their action to make an attack. All of the attacks made with a Doublestrike, Triplestrike, Sweeping, or Battle Fury are part of the same attack action.

However, each individual hit or strike made with these abilities is also referred to as an attack, and this can make it confusing as to what the rule is when something like a Defense says it can only be used once per attack.

I must admit I'm a little sleepy right now, after a pretty long day, so I apologize if my answer isn't the best, as I am not actually cracking open any documents. However, in regards to a Defense, you may use a new defense against each individual strike within a attack action that produces multiple assaults.

As a general rule I consider them to be referring to a roll of the attack dice every time they use the generic term "attack" and only consider them to be specifying "attack action" if they actually use that terminology or it is undeniably supported by context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let's get some of these things sorted out.

First things first.

An attack action is a creature action (quick or full) used to make an attack. Sometimes the attack action will be an individual attack, or it might comprise multiple separate attacks. For example, Doublestrike, Triplestrike,and Sweeping are one attack action, but consist of multiple individual attacks.

So a Doublestrike attack action would always follow these detailed steps:

1. Declare attack (announce target, pay mana)
1.1. Roll to hit if Dazed

2. Avoid Attack (roll for Defense)

3. Roll Dice

4. Damage and Effects

5. Additional strikes for the second additional attack against the same defender
5.1. Roll to hit if Dazed
5.2. Avoid attack (roll for Defense)
5.3. Roll Dice
5.4. Damage and Effects

6. Damage Barrier (skip this step if attack misses or is avoided)

7. Counterstrike (remove Guard marker)

8. Attack ends

Sorry if it is a little over the top detailed, but this is a big part of the game, and I hope it might clear the Attack phase for some players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.