Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks might have noticed that I've gotten a retail/review copy of the game and have been bombarding the boards here with questions. This might have given the impression that I have a less than favourable view of the game. I just wanted to mention it's quite the contrary... I think the game is VERY cool. I LOOOVE the "on the fly" quest generation (as does Jen), and the free-form hand management play structure is excellent as well. It's very much a hackathon, but it's a damn damn good one.

Just wanted to mention that, just to be clear. The rulebook - awful. The game itself - excellent so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Folks might have noticed that I've gotten a retail/review copy of the game and have been bombarding the boards here with questions. This might have given the impression that I have a less than favourable view of the game. I just wanted to mention it's quite the contrary... I think the game is VERY cool. I LOOOVE the "on the fly" quest generation (as does Jen), and the free-form hand management play structure is excellent as well. It's very much a hackathon, but it's a damn damn good one.

Just wanted to mention that, just to be clear. The rulebook - awful. The game itself - excellent so far!

I'm glad you posted this. Because you were starting to make me cry a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I posted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Sitka
AK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you compare the rule book with the one with Mice and Mystics?

It took us six hours to make it through our first M&M run. I'm a stickler for rules and I ran into just about every one of the 50 some FAQs as we went through the first campaign. I love the game now. Is Myth a similar level of missing information, or even more so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zmapenguin wrote:

It took us six hours to make it through our first M&M run. I'm a stickler for rules and I ran into just about every one of the 50 some FAQs as we went through the first campaign. I love the game now. Is Myth a similar level of missing information, or even more so?

My impression is easily "even more so"...

The largest reason, however, is just that Mice & Mystics is a simpler game by at least 4 fold. M&M had a couple small missing rules, but most of them were in the rulebook...it was just hard to track them down because of the layout.

Myth has a little bit of the same. My impression is that the rulebook has a better layout, is more poorly organized, and is missing more little rules here and there. On top of that, there is a large element of 'make it your own' with Myth, so the freedom is likely to be a difficult thing to adjust to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
The rulebook - awful. The game itself - excellent so far!

Very happy to hear that!

I already knew the rulebook was bad, but my enthusiasm for the game has held strong because the gameplay still seems so awesome!

I know that you and Jen aren't big into dungeon crawlers so I'm very excited to hear this game is better for you. You've posted your general feeling about dungeon crawlers before (or maybe in the Descent video), and it seemed to echo my wife's complaints...and I've been hoping Myth can convert my wife. I'm mostly a euro guy, but I started my gaming with HeroQuest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="zmapenguin"]How would you compare the rule book with the one with Mice and Mystics?

It took us six hours to make it through our first M&M run. I'm a stickler for rules and I ran into just about every one of the 50 some FAQs as we went through the first campaign. I love the game now. Is Myth a similar level of missing information, or even more so?[/qI'd rather have it compared to Mage Knight TBG. People say that rulebook(s) are hard to understand. I had no Problems because I watched a LOT of walkthroughs befire I bought it but I can see why people think its hard to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
rahdo wrote:

I'm glad you posted this. Because you were starting to make me cry a bit

Yeah, I was a bit worried too.
If Rahdo has all this trouble with the rules I won't get pass the first chapter of the rules... gulp
Good to know the game is as great as we thought when we backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that Megacon should have made an index for the cards. In the rulebook for Seasons, every card is explained in greater detail including whether or not it can combine with other cards. It's actually one of the best "FAQs" I ever seen in a rulebook. Very informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any ETA on when the run through will be posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, awaiting your video soon ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zmapenguin wrote:

Never seen it, nor have I played M&M.

moxiemoxie wrote:

Sometime next week, if I can figure everything out... Remains to be seen if I can stick with my intended schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
rahdo wrote:
zmapenguin wrote:

moxiemoxie wrote:

Sometime next week, if I can figure everything out... Remains to be seen if I can stick with my intended schedule.

Not to put any pressure on you, but your video has been the one i have been wanting to see the most. It may be 24 hours long with how indepth you are with every move, but for this game I think that might be the huge stepping stone from knowing how the game plays to knowing how to actually play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
It seems to me that Megacon should have made an index for the cards. In the rulebook for Seasons, every card is explained in greater detail including whether or not it can combine with other cards. It's actually one of the best "FAQs" I ever seen in a rulebook. Very informative.

They actually have posted a reference sheet for all the character cards on their site, along with other reference pdfs.

http://megacongames.com/games/myth/

They acknowledge the rule issues and are actively taking steps to correct them. It is a bit unfortunate that there is so many rule issues that weren't caught, but all backers had a chance to go over them as well and did not catch the issues previously either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry guys, we can learn from Richards video devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Sitka
AK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

We needs to get Rahdo a copy of Mice and Mystics. How could we make this happen?

It's really an amazing blend of storytelling and gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:

Even with good rulebooks, that's usually my learning method of choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

Even with good rulebooks, that's usually my learning method of choice.

I do too, I was just joking as Richard tends to say he doesn't think people should do that thanks to rules done wrong in the heat of the moment of the run-throughs ^^. Best way to learn is often to watch a runthrough then temper it with a skim through the rules for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.

Gunnison
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree with the OP, the game is fantastic. The rules are pretty vague in someareas with topics like poison, and courage tests completely omitted fromthe rule book, It's pretty discombobulated as far as organized, though most of the information is there, you tend to do a ton of page flipping. We were able to find some of our answers via the BGG community. I highly suggest that players learning the game check out the official extended play sessions on youtube. I was able to connect visually with what they were doibg and things started to make alot more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Patterson
United States
Calimesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear you're liking the game. I hope we were able to help you over the hump with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
galagaew wrote:
It is a bit unfortunate that there is so many rule issues that weren't caught, but all backers had a chance to go over them as well and did not catch the issues previously either.

Not quite. We saw a rough draft of part of the rulebook a few months ago (maybe as much as 6 months ago, don't remember). When we got the final rulebook, printing was underway and changes couldn't be made. Granted, I don't think people hit all of these questions then, but it is kind of hard to really hit all of the scenarios without having the components and playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
galagaew wrote:
It is a bit unfortunate that there is so many rule issues that weren't caught, but all backers had a chance to go over them as well and did not catch the issues previously either.

Not quite. We saw a rough draft of part of the rulebook a few months ago (maybe as much as 6 months ago, don't remember). When we got the final rulebook, printing was underway and changes couldn't be made. ranted, I don't think people hit all of these questions then, but it is kind of hard to really hit all of the scenarios without playing the game.

And, of course, backers didn't have any cards, or boards, or realm tiles, making it impossible to see issues that arise due to how these things interact. It is very difficult to spot that something has been completely omitted from the rules when you never knew that thing was supposed to be included in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The poor rulebook makes me sad inside. Seriously, you'd think one of the strengths of utilizing the Kickstarter platform would be having backers help you get the rules squared away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.