BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Rette Sich Wer Kann
6 players: *RICK*, William, Chester, Joe, Dan, Jy
Avg enjoyment: 7.66

I had missed out on this one last week, so when Dan showed up and we had 6 players, I asked Rick if we could play it next. His reply: "Absolutely!"

Rules to thsi one are pretty simple since you basically just have 4 phases of voting. The fun of the game is in the grou-wide negotiations with players forming (or, trying to form) uneasy alliances to try and keep their sailors on boats that don't get sunk by leaks! Early on Chester and Joe benefited from the first ship that made it to land, while Dan managed one as well. That made Chester and Joe the focus of attack, but Rick was getting pummeled too.

Midgame things looked precarious. Everyone was aiming for Chester and Joe which allowed William to make some good plays, but Chester and Joe would often help each other out making it hard to beat them down. Boats started springing leaks all over the place, and I got hammered, now down to a mere 3 sailors still on boats. Dan started to look dangerous, but then William benfitted from a landed boat. In the end there were 2 boats left, and if we moved the one, the other was doomed to sink and the game would be handed to Rick. If we moved the other, the game may have had a wild and crazy finish. Strangely enough, Rick's boat was voted to land, which handed him the win. Why anyone (except Rick =) voted for that boat I still don't understand!!! =) Maybe it was a sympathy vote, because he was so badly hampered early in the game.

Scores: Rick 16, William 14, Chester 14, Joe 10, Dan 10, Jy 10

Ratings: Rick 8, William 7, Chester 8, Joe 8, Dan 8, Jy 7
Avg: 7.66

A good all around game. It feels like there is a kingmaker problem in that the last move of the game feels like someone gets to decide exactly who wins. But as Rick pointed out, this is one game where the fun isn't in the winning so much as the playing. And I have to agree. It's not the tighest game in the world, but it sure is hilariously dastardly! So much conspiring against one another (but don't take it personally! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.