Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi All,

I need help understanding a few rules when playing Lancaster.

1) During the battle phase, if the battle is not complete, the cards move down for the second round. even then if the battle is not complete and the french win it, then the knights are captured by the french. So where are these knights placed and what do we need to do with the card that was lost? Does it go into the discard pile.

2) On the first round, during the law phases, there are already a few active laws that are drawn as part of the setup. So should we apply those laws or start the voting to get the new laws. Because, I observed that the laws were not sufficient to send all the 5 rounds of the game?

3) When placing the knights for the battle, can we also place the Squires to add up the advantage? Also wat more purpose are the squires used for?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: NEED HELP WITH FEW RULES
rocky9555 wrote:
1) During the battle phase, if the battle is not complete, the cards move down for the second round. even then if the battle is not complete and the french win it, then the knights are captured by the french. So where are these knights placed and what do we need to do with the card that was lost? Does it go into the discard pile.

The knights are captured by the French only if France wins for the second time. You discard the battle tile and put the knight on the board until you ransom it (we place them next to the reserve area, not to mistake them wit the knights that are not in play yet).

rocky9555 wrote:
2) On the first round, during the law phases, there are already a few active laws that are drawn as part of the setup. So should we apply those laws or start the voting to get the new laws. Because, I observed that the laws were not sufficient to send all the 5 rounds of the game?

There's enough laws. You just put '0' laws in the upper row and first '1' laws in the lower row. The laws are applied AFTER the Parliament phase ends, and NEVER before. So, if all 3 laws that wait in the lower row get approved, '0' laws will all be discarded and never get applied.

rocky9555 wrote:
3) When placing the knights for the battle, can we also place the Squires to add up the advantage? Also wat more purpose are the squires used for?

No. When placing knights on the conflict you can never add squires there (it applies both for placing knights directly in France and in Dorset). Squires are used only in Counties. They also help you to get some profit from some castle extensions and are used as a tiebreaker for total knight strength at the end of the game.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:

There's enough laws. You just put '0' laws in the upper row and first '1' laws in the lower row. The laws are applied AFTER the Parliament phase ends, and NEVER before. So, if all 3 laws that wait in the lower row get approved, '0' laws will all be discarded and never get applied.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help, So from what i understand, during the first round, the upper row is empty and only the lower row is placed with the laws that we want to implement. Am I right about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:

The knights are captured by the French only if France wins for the second time. You discard the battle tile and put the knight on the board until you ransom it (we place them next to the reserve area, not to mistake them wit the knights that are not in play yet).

This is not correct. The rules are pretty clear on this point: as soon as the second battle is over (and lost) players must decide if the captured knights get ransomed (by paying 1 coin per strength level) or not. In the second case, the knights go immediately back to their reserve. You can't put the knights aside and decide later to ransom them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, both rows are filled at the beginning of each turn. The upper one are 'current' laws. The lower row is filled with new laws that will be voted. If you want an old law to remain after voting, you have to block the approval of the new laws and prevent its expulsion from the upper row. As stated before, when you set up the game, 3 '0' tiles are put in the upper row as the current, starting laws, and 3 '1' laws are put in the lower row to be voted in the upcoming Parliament session.

@ Gabriele: I just used another wording - we put the knights on the board until they get ransomed - if someone has the money and wants their knight at immediately, the knight is moved straight to the owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rocky9555 wrote:
Svartisen wrote:

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help, So from what i understand, during the first round, the upper row is empty and only the lower row is placed with the laws that we want to implement. Am I right about it?

No, in the first round (and during the whole game) both rows are filled. The "0" laws are on the upper row, while 3 of the "1" laws are on the lower row. After the first parliament phase if all the new, lower row "1" laws have been applied, all the upper row "0" laws will be discarded without being applicable. If some of the new laws are not approved, there will be some "0" laws still in play and those will be applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:

@ Gabriele: I just used another wording - we put the knights on the board until they get ransomed - if someone has the money and wants their knight at immediately, the knight is moved straight to the owner.

I'm still not sure that there is not a misunderstanding here. If you don't ransom immediately after a lost conflict in the bottom row, you don't get a chance to ransom the knights later. They are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webdanzer wrote:
Svartisen wrote:

I'm still not sure that there is not a misunderstanding here. If you don't ransom immediately after a lost conflict in the bottom row, you don't get a chance to ransom the knights later. They are lost.

This. Either pay immediately or lose your knights to the (regular) supply/reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx! Got it wrong. Sorry if I misled someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all for the answers. We played the game again last night and figured the laws rules. We have a few more clarifications when playing last night and wanted to put forward..Didnt wanted to start a new thread for this.
During the law voting and applying stage:

1) if an additional knight is given to a player, can they re-deploy the knight on to a conflict or county? i know we can upgrade a knight in a conflict or county.
2) one of the law cards where for battle, you get 3 victory points, does that mean, if I am in two battles , i get 6 VP or just 3 VP.
3) Hiding the voting cubes for us made more sense as it would be hard for the other player to know how much I am voting it for. what do you all think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rocky9555 wrote:
1) if an additional knight is given to a player, can they re-deploy the knight on to a conflict or county? i know we can upgrade a knight in a conflict or county.

No. The Parliament phase takes place after all knights are placed. You can use the newly acquired knight in the next round (phase 1). There's one exception though: if you have a knight in Dorset, you can later (the same game turn, phase 3) move your new knight into conflict in France.

According to the rules, if you upgrade your knights thanks to the laws, you choose those that are already deployed.

rocky9555 wrote:
2) one of the law cards where for battle, you get 3 victory points, does that mean, if I am in two battles , i get 6 VP or just 3 VP.

Yes.

rocky9555 wrote:
3) Hiding the voting cubes for us made more sense as it would be hard for the other player to know how much I am voting it for. what do you all think about it?

I agree. If you can't track the number of cubes of your opponents (you can only estimate that based on the number of guests at their boards), you cannot precisely plan the Parliament phase. You have to focus on one (or max 2) laws that are important for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
[q="rocky9555"]2) one of the law cards where for battle, you get 3 victory points, does that mean, if I am in two battles , i get 6 VP or just 3 VP.

Yes.

Thanks for your inputs..but can you be a little more specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rocky9555 wrote:
Svartisen wrote:
[q="rocky9555"]2) one of the law cards where for battle, you get 3 victory points, does that mean, if I am in two battles , i get 6 VP or just 3 VP.

Yes.

Thanks for your inputs..but can you be a little more specific.

Sure. From the rules:

Players gain 3 power points for each conflict to which they have deployed at least 1 of their knights.

(power points = victory points here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Small request: it would be really helpful for later visitors to (re)name your threads to include the topic, like "Qs about Battle Phase and 1st round laws" instead of "NEED HELP WITH FEW RULES". People after you will spend less time searching. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sure...made the change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.