United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb

Early this morning, after a brisk jog, I came home and said hello to my wife, my seven children, Morgan, Bruno, Lavitra, Consuela, Angelo, Font, and Brayndun, and prepared a large, healthy breakfast for the little scamps. And just as I was about to usher them out the door to the school bus, little Lavitra turned to me, with tears in his eyes:

He said, "why, daddy, why is the second colon gone from the title of your second, pre-critically acclaimed piece of art within the board game medium?Why?"

I scooped him into my arms, took the iPad from his shaky fingers, and discovered, to my horror... THIS.

Someone, or something, changed the title of my game and removed the SECOND COLON and replaced it with a HYPHEN. Traitor! You have made little children cry! I can barely contain little Consuela's anger.

Whoever committed this atrocity, be you man or woman or heartless machine, know this: I will have my revenge*!

A HYPHEN? A hyphen doesn't properly convey the heart and soul of the rich, bold, hazlenut, dice game barely held within the confines of it's cardboard trappings! A hyphen is used to flimsily hold together two words like arch-nemesis, anti-fun, and ham-sandwich. A hyphen was booted from the English language years ago when quotations became the standard for spoken word sections of novels. A hyphen is a straight, boring, line with no substance. Using a hyphen before a word in a Google Search, actually removes the word from your search.

Though we may never know why this occurred, I will not rest until the world knows the truth and those who did this are exposed and the proper, god-given, second COLON is placed back into the title of the game.

ColonGate 2014! VIVA COLONS!

*revenge may or may not include me doing absolutely nothing except complaining on an internet forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a correction just in case you hadn't. I referenced this thread as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
I submitted a correction just in case you hadn't. I referenced this thread as well...

YOU SIR, ARE A HERO TO ALL COLONS EVERYWHERE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrippledWerewolf wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

YOU SIR, ARE A HERO TO ALL COLONS EVERYWHERE!

Leave my colon out of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to have this in my hands by mid April (I'm a kickstarter backer BTW). Can't wait to play it colon, hyphen, period, or question mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the game is now already 50% worse. at least it comes in a coffee mug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I am hoping to have this in my hands by mid April (I'm a kickstarter backer BTW). Can't wait to play it colon, hyphen, period, or question mark.
that's what I'm guessing/hoping for. I have my coaster holder ready for the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never felt so disappointed in the entire human race. Gamers unite. Save the colon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The database has standard ways the data is entered/maintained.

Under
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_Guide_to_Game_Sub...

Quote:
If an item is an expansion of a title that already contains a colon, or otherwise needs a second separator, use an en dash. On a Mac, use option-(hyphen), on a PC, use ALT+0150. Example: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Slave I Expansion Pack.

If this format is missed when it is entered, there's a script that finds any titles that don't fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

If this format is missed when it is entered, there's a script that finds any titles that don't fit.

Surely, there are exceptions as this is not an expansion.

This has been approved and placed into the database and has been the same for over ten months. I believe this change has to be recent as I remember seeing two colons in the title of a game before. In fact, it's the exact reason why this game HAS two colons in the title and part of the eclectic charm. And if it is a recent change, there are multiple previous references to this game with two colons in the title in advertising and press releases mentioning the game.

Oh the futility of automated systems. Obviously, the script isn't run every day and this is a rare exception, is there anyway to meet in the middle on this? Can something be coded into the title?

Can I make a geekbadge and embed it into the title?
VivaJava: The Coffee Game
The Dice Game

I never thought I'd be in a situation where I'm defending an intentionally silly use of a colon. I feel weird defending a joke that a handful of people found funny and made a thousand more people annoyed. But, it'd be like if BGG ran a spell-check program on all game titles and therefore my next game DON'T GET EATED would constantly have "eated" corrected to eaten.

Can I bribe anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note: multiple people on Twitter have mentioned now how I shouldn't be angry with Hyphens but with Dashes, or in this case, an Em-dash. Having never owned a typewriter, this practice makes little no sense to me. But, in the interest of being correct:

Em-dashes? 99% of the population aren't even aware that em-dashes exist. Em-dashes are the lame version of the little squiggly line when citing quotations. Em-dashes take up 50% more space than a hyphen and their correct use isn't agreed upon by grammatical authorities. If they can't agree on where to properly use them in a sentence, then I argue that they don't exist. I read Wikipedia. Comic book authors were so confused by em-dashes that they used double-dashes instead. Em-dashes are just hideously deformed hyphens.

And don't correct MY English, Twitter! You got my point! I conveyed my meaning properly using linguistical gymnastics. This argument is for an intentional use of an incorrect punctuation. I am like James Joyce and my Ulysses of a colon is being copy-edited by a machine.

I cry VIVA the COLON!
–T.C. Petty III–––––––––––
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone needs to make a "save the colon" microbadge....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't understand why someone would change a trademarked name. That's right, that second colon is trademarked, silly, ironic, unassuming or not.

I'll alert the law offices of Sackum, Smackum, and Stackum immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After this up roar, they may make it VivaJava:: The Coffee Game::: The Dice Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanders wrote:
After this up roar, they may make it VivaJava:: The Coffee Game::: The Dice Game

Reminds me of NTSF:SD:SUV::.

I heard and interview with Paul Scheer where he lamented people often leaving off the last two colons because he wants the show to have the most colons in television.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the correction I submitted was declined. All they cite is information about expansions, so I really don't see why that's applicable. Grr.yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imprimis5 wrote:
Well, the correction I submitted was declined. All they cite is information about expansions, so I really don't see why that's applicable. Grr.yuk

That's not correct.

Quote:
If an item is an expansion of a title that already contains a colon, or otherwise needs a second separator, use an en dash. On a Mac, use option-(hyphen), on a PC, use ALT+0150. Example: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Slave I Expansion Pack.

Emphasis added this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
imprimis5 wrote:

That's not correct.

Quote:

In this case, however, the 2nd colon is actually part of the title. If you look at the publisher's material, the 2nd colon is always included in the full title. By using a hyphen, it's changing the title of the game, and it really shouldn't matter what BGG's standard is in this case IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

Quote:

Missed that part. Still doesn't address that this is actually what's on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
imprimis5 wrote:
Well, the correction I submitted was declined. All they cite is information about expansions, so I really don't see why that's applicable. Grr.:yuk:

That's not correct.

Quote:

Really just agreeing with Mathue, but the bolded section assumes that the 2nd colon is used as a separator. But the game is a stand alone title, and both colons are simply characters that are part of the title, neither of which are being used as separators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New game idea:

Colon: The Punctuation Game: Epilogue

Players work together to:
Change draconian database entry standards
Restore maligned game titles to their halcyon days
Prevent the following:
Changes to the titles of other games
The reinstatement of said draconian database entry standards

By:
Petitions to:
The powers that be
The Federal Colon Agency
Grassroots campaign efforts led by:
Designers
Players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we all just need to constantly submit corrections until someone gives in. Its the name of the freakin' game why can't it be left alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdlly wrote:
Maybe we all just need to constantly submit corrections until someone gives in. Its the name of the freakin' game why can't it be left alone!

I vote for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:
Jdlly wrote:

I vote for this.

Spurred on by DHMG official sanction I have submitted a correction. But one voice is not enough! Let the revolution of ColonGate 2014 begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My correction was unceremoniously denied without comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.