A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come seeking the wisdom of the BGG. I know there have been several threads on this, but I am torn on what to buy next.

Current Scenario: I play with my two darling daughters, Lady X and Princess Rose. We usually play stock ships most of the time in a straight up dog fight, but I have been known to use a scenario once in a while.

I am not worried about winning tournaments or competitive play; I am looking at more for variety.

I currently have the following:

Two Core Sets
1 X-wing Expansion
1 Tie Expansion
1 Tie Advanced
1 Tie Interceptor Expansion
1 Tie Bomber Expansion
1 Falcon Expansion

So, we can mix it up with 5 Ties vs 3 X Wings most of the time. Sometimes, we do 5 ties on 1 Falcon.

What I am looking for is to buy two more ships or one more big ship to give us some variety. I am going to buy Imperial Aces, but I will have 3 Interceptors, so that is out. My other thoughts as "to buy" are as follows:

(1) Any two of the following: A-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing
(2) A Fire Spray
(2) Two Tie bombers.

I'm leaning towards an A-Wing and a B-wing for now. Just so the girls can fly different ships. I'd like to get more Imperial variety... but two Tie Bombers don't seem that attractive. Plus, the girls are great rollers so I feel the bombers would be sitting ducks.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A & Y definitely add variety.

B w/o Lamdba would just seem like a slow tough X-wing.

The slave is a lot of fun and adds a lot of customization (plus more crew for the falcon).

I also like the HWK as a support ship. You could do one of those instead of a Y and it's more customizable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same gaming situation as you - I play with my sons for fun and am not interested in tournaments. I agree with Aaron that the Firespray adds a bit of variety and as a result I have picked one up. I do however like the B- wing as well for the same reasons. I will be picking up an Aces set, but am really saving up for the new 4th wave ships coming out (I.e. Tie Phantom, Defender, E-Wing, K-wing, etc.) I think as a casual gamer you are always safe to buy a bit of what you like or "looks cool" to you. Regardless of what you get, the game mechanics make it what is - an awesome game!
From one gamer Dad to another - Red 5 Standing by - enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You have less variety on the rebel side so I'd go for two new rebel ships from A, B or Y (could do the HWK but that takes some finesse with upgrades to make it shine). As mentioned the B is quite similar to an X in some ways, so my vote would be for A + Y, they are fun ships and play differently from what you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:

B w/o Lamdba would just seem like a slow tough X-wing.

You can proxy the advanced sensors (except for tournaments).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will pick up an A and a Y wing so the girls can play with different ships that suit their play styles. Princess S likes to play aggressive, so the A wing may be up her alley while Lady X is slow and calculating. Definitely a Y Wing and I think I will introduce her to the Ion Cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.