Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tabletop_minis_recommendation [+] [View All]
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really interested in minis games, just the minis. I am looking for some relatively cheap and nice sci-fi minis to learn painting on. The main criteria:
- easily available in UK
- relatively cheap
- nice moulds
- not GW (looking for a different feel)
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames Factory has a nice line, certainly cheaper than GW...

Hasselfree has a bunch of randomness (any and every theme/genre at least one model), not sure if they're UK based, but shouldn't be hard to find across the pond either.

Not necesarilly cheap, but I like them a lot, wish I could figure out a way to justify using them in my 40k Imperial Guard army. Neat near-future rebel look, and more importantly, female soldiers that aren't all "chainmail bikini"... Statuesqueminiatures.shop033.com

Is there a certain genre you're looking for or just futuristic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
I'm not really interested in minis games, just the minis. I am looking for some relatively cheap and nice sci-fi minis to learn painting on. The main criteria:
- easily available in UK
- relatively cheap
- nice moulds
- not GW (looking for a different feel)
Thanks.

I can't tell you what cheap would mean to you, but I think that Dropzone Commander would fit all your other qualifications quite nicely. They're excellently made minis and they also have 4 different "flavors" they come in. Do you like Earth-like tanks? Check. Walkers and mechs? Check. Slug-like aliens? Check. Delicate spindly ethereal aliens? Check.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I have other possiblities too, but none as good, in my opinion, as DZ Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry, forgot about one more criterion - can't be tiny.
Aren't DZ minis quite smallish? From what I've seen the base for the whole infantry squad is the size of two one pence coins (I know it doesn't tell you anything).
As for the price - a GW squad of space marines (5 minis) costs 20 pounds. That's WAY too pricey for learning to paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any UK retailers carry ReaperBones? They have some sci-fi characters, and they are pretty cheap (USD$2-3 each or so)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find a squad of used marines way cheaper. Bartertown.com is a good place to look. Just say you have X dollars (pounds, whatever) and you want as many marines as you can get your hands on. My friend has done this multiple times and has gotten his hands on some huge armies before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Gecko23:
It seems they do. Have found two intersting models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
Oh, sorry, forgot about one more criterion - can't be tiny.
Aren't DZ minis quite smallish? From what I've seen the base for the whole infantry squad is the size of two one pence coins (I know it doesn't tell you anything).

Can't be tiny might exclude the DZ line. It is 10mm which, you're right, would be about 2 pence for a base. However, just so you know, when painting minis there's a point where I believe size stops mattering because you won't be seeing the up-close detail anyway. It's actually quite freeing to realize you don't need to go nutty because most people are looking at your table from 2+ feet away.

Plus the higher you go the less figs you get for your pound.

Maybe Infinity or Battletech or just the mechs from Heavy Gear (though those seem really expensive)

Good luck with your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Maybe you can find someone unloading a 1st edition copy of Sedition Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ground Zero Games

Based in the UK, their 25mm Stargrunt range is much nicer (IMO) than GW: the detail and weapons are a bit oversize, not stupidly oversize. Also you can get a company of 80 figs for about £100.
They also have plenty of vehicles.

The only problem is that they are smaller than GW.

Hasslefree

Also in the UK. very nice figures, a bit bigger than the GZG ones and much more expensive (but still smaller and cheaper than GW).

The problem is that their range of SF is still quite small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@jawmonkey:
Sorry, missed your post. I don't have anything specific in mind, just something futuristic.

Ground Zero Games - they don't put photos of their minis on the website. I don't get the reason behind it.

Hasslefree - didn't see anything good

Infinity - that might be it, although some interesting models are on the more pricey side (e.g. Iguana squad at 40 quid - still, they don't say how many minis in a box or how big, and they will be bigger)

Also, my FLGS recommended Deadzone from Mantic Games. There are definitely some nice minis from one of the forces, and apparently they want to start playing in store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.