Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, loving this game. Now a few questions. I assume that in the set up instructions, interceptors refer to non-CV jets?
Combat timing..... say a CC task force with a DDG and a CV with 2 CV steps activate to attack a lone enemy ship. During AS combat the CV air goes first because it has an evasion higher than the DDG. The air destroys the enemy ship....I assume the attacker's DDG doesn't need to follow through on its attack? What if the CV air and the DDG have the same evasion but the air goes first because it has a higher AS. Does the DDG have to follow through? I assumed that the DDG would only have to follow through if both the evasion and the AS are the same (so are simoultaneous).
Defender activation..... a defender can support if an attacker is activated in the defenders illumination zone. Does the defender have to also attack someone activated for that attack or can he attack anyone in his range?
Hope this all makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher moeller
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on your questions:

First, you answer your own question about the timing issue: you only fire simultaneously if you have the same evasion and fire rating. Otherwise it's not simultaneous: if unit A kills unit B, unit B can't get its shot off.

Second, my understanding is that the attacker commits units, then the defender commits units AGAINST those units (illumination zones permitting). You can't defend against units that aren't attacking you. You would have to complete the combat, and then attack those units in turn (allowing them to evade and support).

Oh, and yes interceptors are non-CV jets.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Chris is correct. A few things to keep in mind.

The last sentence of rule 14.314 addresses the 2nd question.

"Therefore, a single engagement will include all attacking units identified by the attacker, all defending units in the focus hex and any qualifying supporting units identified by the defender."

Hence, the only "involuntary" participants in a battle are the defending units in the focus hex. In other words, the attacker says, "I'm hitting the contents of that hex with these units whether you like it or not." Then the defender can bring in others voluntarily per the stipulations of 14.314. The defender CANNOT then say, this defending unit will strike one of your other units over there eventhough you did not ID him for this battle; that can be done later when the erstwhile defender becomes the attacker and then declares that other hex as his focus.

For the first question, YES strikes are sequential and if a unit is destroyed before its turn it does not get a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. I must say, if those are the only 2 questions I have (more confirming what I thought than anything), you did a VERY good job with the rules. "the only 'involuntary' participants in a battle are the defending units in the focus hex" GREAT way to put it. Should place that in a living rules (if you do that). Just to clarify my intent on the sequential question.... it was not to finagle a last gasp shot from the defender, but to ask if an attacker in the same evasion band but lower AS rating would need to be marked 'fired' or if he would be able to hold his fire and hence be able to fire later in the same cycle.
I hope you are planning more 'modules' using this same system. It is a blast, very intuiutive, flows well and very immersive. Thanks for the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Petdoc

I see a few things to note.

When you say "evasion" you really mean "stealth." That is, the statistic on the unit is called stealth, but you can use it to, among other things, evade combat.

For your question,

"To ask if an attacker in the same evasion band but lower AS rating would need to be marked 'fired' or if he would be able to hold his fire and hence be able to fire later in the same cycle?"

See rule 8.42...

8.42 Declare strikes immediately before rolling. Therefore, a player may await the outcome of one strike before declaring another.

Hence, the would-have-fired unit can await the outcome of all strikes which preceeded him (whether by stealth or AS score) before deciding to actually fire. So, if his intended target were destroyed, he could hold fire and thereby avoid being marked with a fired counter. Thus, he could join another engagment later in the same cycle. However, he could NOT fire at a later stage of his own engagement; you have to fire (or NOT) at your place in the defined order.

Thanks for the kind words. Please consider giving the game a good rating here at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.