Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi...

This will be a silly question, but I am having problems to understand the rules...

Can we build more than one network, or should we ALWAYS expand the first one.

By network, I mean every other station/track must be connect to the fisrt station?

My guess is YES, you can not start a track/station disconnect from the fisrt one,but I would like to be sure about that...

Thank you once again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Really dumb question: Can I started a new network?
You may have two or more separate networks on the 'board'.

The only hard stipulation is that when you initiate a dividend payment, you must choose the longest railroad possible given the combination of the choice of company, a corresponding railroad station, and number of shares laying in front of the players. In other words: if for example the Red company is chosen, with 4 outstanding shares, and one network allows for a route of length 4 while another only for a route of length 2, then you must choose the former network.

Also keep in mind that the networks do not belong to anyone as opposed to, say, Age of Steam.

Edit: See below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra clarification needed: What is exactly a network? All the board? A disconnect ramification?

Problem 1: Can blue start his own tree in two diferent places? like one station in Berlim and other in Hanoover, disconnect between them? If so, when you buy shares, do you count stations in te entire board, or just a network?

Problem 2: doesthe black locomotive count as a share, if the owner wants, to count how many cards a train can travel?

thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I apologise, it looks like I remembered the rules wrong meeple.

You may not create separate networks. The rules state that any card has either to extend or add to existing track (halfway page 4 or thereabouts); the whole thing is jumpstarted through a mandatory build of the first player on his first turn (top page 4 or thereabouts). Since there is no existing track anywhere else on the map save that what got built and extended from the start, it follows that secondary networks may not exist.

The answer to question #1 is therefore: illegal situation, does not apply. Question #2: No. The Black Locomotive only counts as an extra train where the actual payout is concerned; it can be used neither as a joker to select the payout company nor as a share to lengthen the number of cards travelled.

From what I remember of my initial games is that building long strechtes of track are not worth it initially; you want to create tortuous knots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.